Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Rolf Slotboom\'s latest article in cardplayer

Anybody else read and have any thoughts on this article yet? I have been criticial of Slotboom's articles in the past, and have wondered how he gets any action when he says things like ". . . and I haven't played a hand in 2 hours." But his present article seems a bit more thought out.

I'd like to hear what others think before I post my thoughts.

Old 10-30-2003, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Rolf Slotboom\'s latest article in cardplayer

while i was reading this article, i told myself that against this opponent my turn play is an all-in check raise. apparently we agree on that.

as i read his description of the 'small bet to find out where you're at' play, i realized that it might be even better to bet small, and reraise if you are raised.

it's important to remember that you're up against a tricky and aggressive player here. against typical online players i would simply bet the turn and check the river if a scare card hits, expecting the opponent to not attempt to bluff me out when i've shown that much strength. besides, he will likely lay down a hand like just a flush draw when i make that bet.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:13 PM

Do I get extra credit for knowing exactly what his unusual play was going to be as soon as he detailed the flop..? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
How about a Rolf Slotboom t-shirt...

I don't have a problem with this play at all, though I generally do just what crock said he'd do for the online games - bet right out and hope that card didn't make my opponents hand. As a function of stack size in rolf's specific instance, the c-r seems like a good one to me. Since you pretty much have to call a scary river with your last chips if it goes bet/call on the turn, then the only real gain or loss is that 1) you get to collect all of his chips if the board pairs or 2) your hand holds up and the bets don't go in 'cos you have to check a scary river.

btw, I got dealt double suited black A's over 8's in a totally crazy 1/2 PL game last night. Made a big preflop pot with several players; flop 9h7h5h. Great! Why do you go around advertising that crap... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Uhhhhh..............

For some reason I thought that Acesover8s is Rolf.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I get extra credit for knowing exactly what his unusual play was going to be as soon as he detailed the flop..?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately not, I do think that it was not quite of an unusual play as Rolf does, so no t-shirt awarded.

[ QUOTE ]
btw, I got dealt double suited black A's over 8's in a totally crazy 1/2 PL game last night. Made a big preflop pot with several players; flop 9h7h5h. Great! Why do you go around advertising that crap...

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're saying you folded on the flop? Big mistake as AA88ds always comes in, you just never know what street is going to hit it. Sometimes you need a little creativity, suppose the turn is a six, simply table one of your 8's and say "I've already got the straight", they'll fold when they don't fill.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Uhhhhh..............

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I thought that Acesover8s is Rolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have just send me a PM saying "Dude, you sure have tightened up lately."

Old 11-01-2003, 04:17 PM

Actually, no. I was a bit misleading 'cos I won the hand holding black Acesover8's on a flop of 579 all hearts. Checked to me, player or two behind me. I winged it and stuck a two thirds bet out. All fold. Woohoo. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe it really is an invincible hand, even when flopping a total miss.