Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Quick pf question

Based on a discussion in IRC with TstoneMBD, we disagreed about the standard play (if there is one).

Three handed with a 1/2 blind structure. You are in the BB with JJ. Your image is fairly tight. LAG who plays very badly post-flop openraises on the button, 2+2er who is decent and will have a fairly wide range 3-bets in the SB. Your play?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Quick pf question

Cap
Old 09-20-2005, 04:26 PM

I believe...

LAG:s open raising standards should be pretty wide (especieally if he knows you are tight players). SB probably knows they are wide and that you are tight, so his 3-betting standards should be pretty wide. You are definetly a favorite to have the best hand. I think cap.

You don't mind if BU folds, especially when he has Ax, Kx, Qx.

On the flop after showing all that preslop aggression you would like your opponents to fold Ax, Kx, Qx in the 12 SB pot that will likly be much bigger by the end of it.

If you just call preflop, well then you can ch/r flop and that isn't to bad, but now you have them drawing to at least 3 outs in a big pot. You like them to fold to your flop bet more.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:35 PM

for the record, the BB in the hand thinks that the BT lag will fold preflop here about 0% of the time.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:42 PM

I'm 4-betting hands a lot worse than JJ here.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 PM

the title of this thread scares me...

easy cap. now let this thread die before jason comes in and starts trying to convince us that its a fold.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:52 PM

Now this one isn't even debatable.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM

ok ill blow the cover here... this hand took place in a 10/20 6max game where i was BB and spam was the SB. i smoothcalled JJ out of the BB and would do this here regularly but often cap as well. could someone please explain to me why smoothcalling is so bad because i am very stubborn here that it is a good play.

reasons:

-i cannot get the lag to fold, he may even cap it himself.
-spam will not put me on a hand as strong as JJ with my smoothcall.
-spam will bet any flop and i can raise him to force out the lag protecting my hand. if i cap preflop then i cannot protect my hand.

extra reasons for smoothcalling even though id do it here anyway:

-ive been carddead and my image is extremely tight/weak.
-the lag is giving me alot of respect and by capping i think it will scare him out of playing weaker hands postflop, but again he will not fold preflop.
-spamuell is probably giving me alot of credit here as well as he has been folding his sb to me every time i am the bb about 4/5 times in a row.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you just call preflop, well then you can ch/r flop and that isn't to bad, but now you have them drawing to at least 3 outs in a big pot. You like them to fold to your flop bet more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I temporarily imagined you were SB or something...

[ QUOTE ]
spam will not put me on a hand as strong as JJ with my smoothcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you win anything by that? When you bet on the flop you want him to respect your hand and fold. It would be best if he thought you had AA in the pocket?

[ QUOTE ]
-spam will bet any flop and i can raise him to force out the lag protecting my hand. if i cap preflop then i cannot protect my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good reason to call preflop. But I'd say it's not enough. I'd say you rather want to get more money in preflop as a favorite and hope they fold on the flop anyway. I don't see unpaired Ax, Kx, Qx calling the flop anyway after you cap+bet. Hands that have paired suck though.

But you don't get all that much by not capping. You only face BU with two cold. When SB has a smaller pair he is in a simular situation as if you had capped preflop and bet flop.

[ QUOTE ]
-the lag is giving me alot of respect and by capping i think it will scare him out of playing weaker hands postflop, but again he will not fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Above you said you want to call preflop in order to be able to protect your hand post flop. If he has no outs to your JJ then you want him to be calling, but he won't call that no matter how you play the hand.

EDIT: Clarification of above. The only reason I can see for not capping is that you want to protect your hand on the flop the times BU makes a pair lower than jacks. I don't think that is enough though.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Easy cap.