Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Losing $1.1k on One Pair Hands

[ QUOTE ]
Fold one pair to a raise. Always.

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP, do you do this? If so, would you still do it playing 25NL?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 PM

40% won money at showdown is really low....tighten up how much u go to river...If you have no read I generally want top pair and a good kicker or a lot of outs to call raises on the flop and after.

you could write 20 pages on how to play these but generally If you think you have the best hand then raise, if after you show strength your opponent reraises, then think if you have a REALLY strong hand and play accordingly.

A lot of how to play these are player dependant but in general you need to be tighter and probably more aggressive.

Get GT+ from www.pokertracker.com that way if you are against a rock you can fold more and call/raise more against a LAG. So you can win more showdowns.

read harrington on holdem vol 1 if you want a good book.

There ya go. works?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OMFG, yes. At NL25 it is actually correct strategy. No, I don't still do this. But I don't still play NL25 either. At NL200 it is not correct strategy (although it is still very close to correct, IMO) but at NL25-NL100 I think it is actually correct or VERY close to correct. People ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE with worse than one pair. Unless you have a specfic read to the contrary.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OMFG, yes. At NL25 it is actually correct strategy. No, I don't still do this. But I don't still play NL25 either. At NL200 it is not correct strategy (although it is still very close to correct, IMO) but at NL25-NL100 I think it is actually correct or VERY close to correct. People ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE with worse than one pair. Unless you have a specfic read to the contrary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a nice, simple rule to follow, but are there exceptions? What about this hand:
No reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($7.65)
UTG ($22.15)
UTG+1 ($14.95)
MP1 ($26.60)
Hero ($39.85)
MP3 ($10)
CO ($5.55)
Button ($9.85)
SB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1.25, SB calls $1.15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6</font>
Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Fold.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta see a turn.

this is entirely too weak with a drawy board.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 AM

You can see a turn if you want. Most of the time, though, you will be folding to a decent sized turn bet. Yeah, occasionally you will be able to charge them for their draw when they check to you again on the turn, but you dont really see that play at NL25. Not really until NL100. And then you'll get to NL200 and people will c/r their draws and then bet them again on the turn. And then you're playing poker. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]