Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Overplaying overcards?

These are generally considered to be extremely difficult hands to play, especially out of position. I doubt anyone will ever be comfortable playing these situtations (being out of position blows ass), but every little bit helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: The CO would go to showdown with some wacky hands, whereas the Button needed at least some part of the board to go to showdown. Both are loose and passive pre and post flop.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (8.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Heroine folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Villan is a bit too loose and a bit too passive pre-flop, but has shown some agression with decent hands (like TP) post-flop.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Heroine calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Heroine calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Heroine folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand 3: Villan is your typical loose/passive, with one addition: he would checkraise in random spots at completely random times. With monsters, with marginal hands, with crap... you don't know!!

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Heroine calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Heroine folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

-K
Old 06-15-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Overplaying overcards?

yea these hands are hard to play out of position, except for the first hand.

The first 2 hands are fine, can't really comment on them.

the third hand I would fold to the turn raise. I don't see a loose passive raising you here with just top pair, so you're likely drawing dead.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:15 AM

Hand 1 is fine. The turn bet may be debateable. Against two players, I will tend to bet and sometimes I check; really depends on what, if anything, I know about the other players.

Hand 2 is very over-played. You shouldn't be betting that flop. I'm not sure about the turn call. There are no flush draws and your overcards won't complete any straight draws, so you may be able to count them for a full six outs.

Hand 3 is borderline. I can go either way with the flop bet. I'm not thrilled with it, but I don't hate it either. Given that there were limpers before you raised, I'd be more inclined to check this flop. Fold the turn.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 AM

Hand 1

I would check/raise the flop. I want to build the pot, I have a strong draw. I want to improve my chances to win the pot as fast as possible incase I don't hit the draw.

I would bet the turn as you did.

I would check/fold the river also given your reads. If the check raise gets rid of a player and it is heads up on the river I might bet unless your read is strong.

Hand 2

I would check/call the flop. With this many players betting out seems to risky. I check/call for one bet only. I am not winning unimproved this time so I want to see cards cheap.

I would check/fold the turn. Weak I know but that's what I want to do hard to explain why but I would bail here. I give him credit for the flop raise he has something I don't want to pay to draw to my 3 outer.

Hand 3

I like the flop bet.

I bet the turn also but I have no idea what I would do facing a rasie here. I want to fold but I think you have to call. Screw it I fold I don't care if it is weak, it's the truth and it is what I would do. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] He could be bluffing yes but I don't need to catch him evertime he bluffs just once will make up for it. I wait for a better place.

Can't wait to see what others say I feel I am wrong on all these hands. Nice post clearly this is part of my game that needs work.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 AM

Hand 2.

I'd agree that this hand was overplayed against this many players. I'd check and call one, fold to a raise.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:38 AM

Isn't hand 2 a: the-pot-is-large-and-you-bet-to-limit-the-field-to-increase-your-chances-of-winning-when-you-hit sort of situation?

You might be reversed dominated you don't want anyone to pick up a flushdraw if you spike a pair on the turn and so on.

I also hate this type of hands and am working on fixing my leak here.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:20 PM

bump for more input
Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 PM

Hand 1 looks good.

I don't like Hand 2. What do you hope to accomplish by betting into 6 players with overs? Check and see what goes down.

Hand 3: Given your read, I'd call down. Against unknowns, I typically play the same way.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Hand 1 well played.

Hand 2 the field is way to big to be betting into in my opnion you should check call 1 bet on the flop if UI check/fold the turn.

Hand 3 bet/fold the turn.

GL.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:38 PM

IMO, you played the first hand correctly. The flush draw is a strong draw and you had many outs and good pot odds.

Hands 2 &amp; 3 should have probably been folded at the turn. In hand 2 you said that the villain plays aggressively with TP or better so he probably has Queens. Hand 3 is a tougher fold because the villain could have anything. I still fold it and wait for a better time.

All of that said, I agree that these are very tough to play and you end up second guessing every decision you make when holding overcards.

- Mark