Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Default 5/10NL vs. known professional

Villain has $1650 and is in the BB, I have $1400 two off the button...@ fulltilt 5/10NL 5-handed

UTG Limps, I limp w/ 9c9h, button folds, both blinds call. I dont raise here because I will get paid off if I hit a set

FLOP 2c 8c Kh pot=$40

SB checks, BB bets 30, I call because I have the 9c and want to hit a set.

Turn 9s pot= $100

Sb bets 100, I raise it 300 ....sb thinks for a while and calls

river 4c making 3 to a flush. pot=700$

villian bets out 350....what would be your next move?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: 5/10NL vs. known professional

Don't draw to two outers on a board with 2 of a suit. Raise this piece pre-flop, too. What type of pro will pay you off for a set?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 PM

Your post makes little sense. Clarify the action on each street. Are there three players on the river?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 PM

This pro is loose agressive and will raise with many hands, on all streets, even on a pure bluff. I thought that he was on a flush draw on the flop based on his bet and decided to call to either hit my set our outplay him if the 3rd club never came.

Once I hit my card and got called and a club came i didnt know to call his bet or not. Would you have raised / folded / called

I think my logic in calling his bet is fine if the assumption I made about his two whole cards are correct.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This pro is loose agressive and will raise with many hands, on all streets, even on a pure bluff. I thought that he was on a flush draw on the flop based on his bet and decided to call to either hit my set our outplay him if the 3rd club never came.

Once I hit my card and got called and a club came i didnt know to call his bet or not. Would you have raised / folded / called

I think my logic in calling his bet is fine if the assumption I made about his two whole cards are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think calling the flop is horrible, but based on your logic that he had a flush draw and that you could outplay him if the flush didnt hit, why on earth would you still be considering calling AFTER the flush card hit? It soounds like you are selectively changing your read based on what cards come.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 PM

I would probably just call on the river. I don't think I would fold, given your description of the player.
If you think you're trip nines are best, you could even raise him all in...It depends on how confident you are, and if what you think he would call you with.
Hope it worked out.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:54 AM

If he was drawing to the flush, even if you call he didn't get the right price.

That seems like a $350 blocking bet from someone who wants to see a showdown as cheap as possible. That being said, you should send him a thank you card for betting for you, because you were going to have a hard time putting any more money in the pot if he checked, especially given your read.

Call. You will be ahead more than 1 time in 4 and he's not going to pay a raise off with a hand you beat often enough to compensate for the times he does have a flush.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:02 AM

My read exactly. Call, he hasn't given himself correct odds for the flush draw, his bet looks like he's trying to get to showdown. It's either a so-called block bet or a set-up bet, making it a 50-50 proposition with a 3-1 payoff. I dont' think you can raise.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 AM

This is a classic case where he won't fold a hand better than yours or call with a hand worse if you raise the river (even a min raise.)

This doesn't matter of course because you that think he hit his flush meaning that a raise doesn't make much sense.

You are getting 2:1 on your call here so if you are more than 66.6% confident in your read then you should fold here. Given the action I can easily see him turn over a hand that is not a flush more than 1/3 of the time so this is an easy call.

Furthermore, your call on the flop was a good one. You put him on a flush draw and thought that you had the best hand. For $30 there is no problem with smooth calling here to see how the hand develops. There would be little point in raising the flop because then you won't get value by call/calling and will have to play a marginal hand in an inflated pot if called (and a Known pro might very well call a raise and then lead out on the turn with his flush draw forcing you to fold.)

I would also raise preflop but see no problem with limping here some pct of the time.

-Steve
Old 02-10-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a classic case where he won't fold a hand better than yours or call with a hand worse if you raise the river (even a min raise.)

This doesn't matter of course because you that think he hit his flush meaning that a raise doesn't make much sense.

You are getting 2:1 on your call here so if you are more than 66.6% confident in your read then you should fold here. Given the action I can easily see him turn over a hand that is not a flush more than 1/3 of the time so this is an easy call.

Furthermore, your call on the flop was a good one. You put him on a flush draw and thought that you had the best hand. For $30 there is no problem with smooth calling here to see how the hand develops. There would be little point in raising the flop because then you won't get value by call/calling and will have to play a marginal hand in an inflated pot if called (and a Known pro might very well call a raise and then lead out on the turn with his flush draw forcing you to fold.)

I would also raise preflop but see no problem with limping here some pct of the time.

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

How can calling the flop "because you put him on a flush draw" be correct, if youre still going to call the river bet even if the flush comes?

If he doesnt have a flush then he most likely has a king. If he doesnt have a king or a flush, then what is he betting that you can beat? A8? No way.
Calling this river bet makes no sense to me, but then maybe the logic is over my head.