Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Flopped the nut flush and got check raised

$2-$5-$5. Comments from the flop on are appreciated. I think I played the hand OK, but I'm constantly thinking about how, if at all I could have won more money.

I'm in late position w/ Ah,5h and have $1300 in front of me. There are 3 callers and I raise to $15. All limpers call as do the 2 blinds. The flop is 8h,Jh,9h and it's checked to me. I bet $45 and get raised to $150 by the BB. He's a pretty loose player and I put him on a small flush OR top pair w/ another heart All fold to me. He had around $900 in front of him. I decided to call and expected him to bet around $300 or more on the turn and I was expecting to get him all in at that time. Unfortunately the turn was another heart and we both checked. The river was another J and he checked to me. I bet $175 and he called. He showed 6h,7h.

Did I make a mistake by not reraising the flop?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Flopped the nut flush and got check raised

i would be inclined to over bet on the flop, giving the impression you have a big hand, 2 pair, trips, and want to make a draw to the flush/straight expensive...he could also put you on the flush draw. Risky play, but i'd rather win his whole stack than 50 bucks and i feel this is the way to do it, you want his reraise to make him close to pot commited........oh the benefit of hindsight.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 AM

I do not like your call of the villains check raise.

When he comes over the top for $150 I would be most inclined to reraise. For one, if he has a flush and another heart comes out the action on the hand is going to be dead. You have close to the nuts and with 'deep stacks' no opponent will go to the felt with 4 hearts and a q/k heart in his hand.

By reraising your opponent here he may read you for some kind of set / over pair / straight / tptk (viewing your bet as one that does not want a call).

By reraising he may decide hes got the best of it and push. You get paid off [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] IMO I would reraise at least the size of the pot.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:53 AM

i agree with this line of thought, but i think the best way to play it, is too not give him a chance to second guess himself, you have the nuts, over bet the pot on the flop 120-150 bucks, and hope trips/two pair/low flush/straight reraises to see where they stand, and put them to a tough decision, by putting them all in on the turn if they dont do it on the flop.
nb..why would someone over bet the flop...it will be seen as a fear move, not strength
Old 11-24-2004, 02:37 PM

I personally like the trade-off between slow playing the flop and the possibility of your hand getting counterfeited on the turn and river. Most people who flop a small flush want to keep the pot small until the river just to be sure their hand doesn't get counterfeited by a 4th card in their suit coming out. There's a lotta hands your opponent can put you on after you just call his cr on the flop. Top-pair, two-pair, and top-pair with a big heart are just a few of those hands. By just smooth calling his raise, he's going to think even less that you already have a strong made hand or a flush. Even if he's loose, any player who is decent at all will be able to muck a baby flush if you make a big enough re-raise on the flop. I prefer smooth calling both the flop and the turn (in this case, 7 hearts are already dead so you have better chances of not getting counterfeited if you both have a flush), and if a heart doesn't hit the river, make an overly large raise of his river bet. This bet always looks like a top-pair big-heart hand who missed making a flush on the river and is trying to buy the pot. Raise too small and it looks like a slowplayed nut flush. Also, if he's been betting big enough, he'll be pretty much pot committed and have to call your big raise even if he does acknowledge the possibility that you have a bigger flush.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:20 PM

I tend to re-raise about $300 here on the flop. The reason is there are a number of cards including any heart or the board pairing that kill your action or your hand, while there are a number of hands he is still calling and raising with. He could easily have you on an overpair with a heart and will gladly give you action.

As the hand played, I would still bet the turn after the Heart came. Maybe 150 or 200. A straight, small flush, trips or 2 pair, maybe the bare 10h , will still give you some action. See what happened when you got to the river and the board paired? A tougher player could have played you off your hand, depending on what you thought of each other of course.

Have a happy thanksgiving-ny
Old 11-25-2004, 01:12 PM

I would reraise all-in here, right on the flop. You're representing A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x with that move. Flush or trips will call, and clearly your opponent isn't making his reraise with the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], since you have it, so he's got -- flush or trips.

When you raise preflop, they NEVER put you on the flopped flush (I'm not sure why this is, but it's true...), so when you hit it, get as much money in there as possible immediately.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would reraise all-in here, right on the flop. You're representing Ax with that move. Flush or trips will call, and clearly your opponent isn't making his reraise with the A, since you have it, so he's got -- flush or trips.

When you raise preflop, they NEVER put you on the flopped flush (I'm not sure why this is, but it's true...), so when you hit it, get as much money in there as possible immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post creed.

I agree with the entire post. It looks like you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or since you raise pf, they might put you on something like JJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q.

Reraising big or all in is opponent dependant, but you have to reraise here. Most people wont get away from a flopped flush here, so push it now while they still want to dance.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:29 PM

never slowplay the nut flush on the flop.

sometimes saying it three times helps to remember it.
its hard enough to get paid when you make a flush, so when you flop it play it fast. its the only way to get paid.
put yourself in his shoes, you flop a small flush, are you good enough to lay it down to the preflop raiser?

"would he really raise me all in on the flop with the nuts? no way, i'm gonna call him"
sound like a familiar line of thought?
if the stacks are deep enough you can can get away from the small flush on the flop, but he's nowhere deep enough.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:42 AM

You don't have the nut flush.