Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Slow play KK?

Great 5/5NL game on saturday. This hand came up and perplexed my buddy as to why I played it this way.

6 Handed Hero has $1000 behind & villain has me covered @ $2000.

Folded around to hero on the SB. I wake up to two black kings and decide to check. Villain on the BB raises it to 50. I decide to just call and hope to double through on the villain barring any kind of threatening board. I didn't want to give away my strength. My reason for doing this was that I played very straight foward to this point and believed that the villain could not make me for such a strong hand if i had not raised.

Flop comes out Qd 6d 3s.

I decide to lead into the opponent for the pot ($100) and he thinks for a while and raises me now $200 to go. At this point I decide that my opponent does not have a set (he slowplayed them 2 times tonight) but has something like AQ or KQ and hopes to take it down right there.

I decide to think about it for a minute and conceal my strength (relative to what I perceive he has). I believed that to get my money in on the turn and pot commit him I should just call.

After I called there is about $650 in the pot and I am left with about that behind.

Turn 7c.

I check it to him and he bets $300. I move all in and he ponders for at least 3 minutes. He calls the other $350 and I turn over KK before the river comes. His cards go into the muck and says 'i cant believe you had kings...nice hand'

I felt that if I just called the flop reraise and then checked it to him knowing a bet was coming I would pot commit him to call a raise for the rest of my stack on the river.

Who likes my line ? Who thinks it is a terrible play with KK? Comments or suggestions appreciated
Old 11-22-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Slow play KK?

Seems like the right way to go. When you're determined to go all the way with KK unless an ace comes, you might as well do your best to get him to put the money in. The 100 on the flop is the only aggression you showed until the check raise all in on the turn, and you had to bet that to make sure the level of betting escalates to the point that you can double up. There's no way for him to release from a hand by the time that the pot's almost $2k and it's only 300 more to him. You played this hand exactly the way you should have in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:09 PM

I was not planning on going all the way with KK. When I decided to slowplay the hand I said to myself that the only way I am going to the felt with KK is if I was confident I was way ahead. If I had thought I was behind or 50/50 I would have tried to play it cheaply and showdown for a small pot. Everythime I slow play I am prepared to drop the hand if I have any concerns.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:02 PM

There's a reason why the check-raise was invented...

But since you didn't c/r the flop, I think you played the rest of the hand fine since you were against ONE opponent. Against more than one opponent, though, I do not think you played this hand optimally.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 PM

why would he checkraise the flop? ?
He played it fine.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:59 PM

Given your read I think you played this hand expertly. Him raising the flop and you being able to take him off a set because of it was the critical junction in this hand.

Ni hand sir.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:04 PM

Why c/r on a Q-high flop against more than one opponent? For several different reasons. But as I stated in my original post, I think he played the hand fine against one opponent.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:08 PM

nice. that preflop check then the flop lead out is especially nice. screw the extra 75 or so you gain sometimes when you c/r. plus a flop c/r makes his decisions so simple
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 PM

I like the way you played this. Outside of your read I think the key to the hand is the 'weak lead' on the flop. Granted, a pot sized bet on the flop isn't exactly weak but with an agressive player on your left who has already shown strength that bet is screaming to be raised. The hand plays itself barring a scare on the turn. Very well played. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 10:30 PM

I'll jump on the bandwagon. Nicely played. It's important that you play it cautiously if he checks behind preflop. You don't want to put your stack at risk with one pair if it's unraised.

Justin A