Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Stars $10 Last night Bust out hand Deep in tourny

Usually don't post to many hands here, but this one is bugging me a little.

Already made the money and trying to make final table.
Two spots from the next pay-out level when this hand comes up: I think blinds are around 600 & 1.2K.

I have around T55K and in about 15th place.

UG raises all in w/ T7K all fold to me in CO where I look down at QQ. Only one left to act is button who has me covered. I decide to Push and isolate but button calls, and blinds fold.

1st question, does any one not push here and why?

The cards open up and UG has AK and Button has 10 10.

Just what I want because even if AK hits, I still make money from button.(If I win outright, move to top 4 in tourny).

Unfortunately button flopped quad 10's and I was gone.

2nd question. Was there anyway I could get away from this hand? I see myself pushing on the flop w/ undercards on the flop anyway and still going broke.

I actually feel better about it as I type, because I am realizing it was destined to happen.

Does any one muck or just call b4 flop to try to move to the next pay-off level. I had already rapped up around $100 and next level was around $120.

1st prize was $5,200.

Thanks for your inputs/responses
Old 09-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Stars $10 Last night Bust out hand Deep in tourny

you know you were right. Cards happen, we can't all be Danny Negranington.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:08 PM

actually the 10's make a real bad call in this spot. If he has alot less chips than you and is in fact short stacked to the point of blinds killing him in next 1-2 rounds then I like his call. But not against a huge stack, vs a raise-reraise. NO WAY do I call with the 10's. I figure to be too much a dog or such a slight favorite it aint worth the chip count.

You played fine in my opinion. Normally we love getting this action.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM

Thanks,
I was thinking the same thing that no-way do I make the call the button did.

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:35 PM

It makes no sense to want to get away from the better hand.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:47 PM

Whats very funny and sometimes interesting is the following situations that occur CONSTANTLY, thanks to television.

People watching television poker are constantly seeing shorthanded play. 2-6 players the normal table population. This changes values very dramatically. Here's a great example:

Blinds 300-600, I am in SB w/T2250. UTG limps, he has 5800 roughly....button raises all-in to roughly 1700. I know he over values weak aces and I want him head-up and go all-in with AQ suited. UTG calls with 33!!!!

I win the pot and triple up at a critical time. But what is pocket 3's thinking facing a all-in raise and a re-raise all-in? This is in a 10 handed table! Most often this player goes busted. How often does he figure to be the favorite and by how much?

Hell I mucked pocket 10's in MP in unopened pots!! I will constantly do this when I have substantially less than avg stack but have at least 10x blinds. I do not want to face a raise with a mediocre holding that can cost me my stack to easily. Especially mid-late when players are in fact playing a little tighter. If I raise and get re-raised I am at best a very very slight favorite. Very slight edges are for the gamboolers. It's the only way they can win.

But thanks to tv we have people that cant figure out how far behind they could possibly be but instead fall in love with thier hands.

I too so love the players that love to shove it all-in with AJ-AK early in tournaments in full tables. Generally someone with pocket 6's takes em out!! but alas the same guy blows off his chips with way the worst of it later on.
two for the price of one!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:52 PM

Prime Time-

[ QUOTE ]
Does any one muck or just call b4 flop to try to move to the next pay-off level. I had already rapped up around $100 and next level was around $120.

1st prize was $5,200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never ever ever. There might be an argument for calling rather than raising, but the possibility of earning an extra $20 by folding would not be part of the argument.

The Stars rebuy has a minimum buyin of $31 if you play correctly. On average, it will be more - say $40 plus/minus $5 - depending on how tight you play. Folding the third best hand because you might lose half a buyin doesn't make any sense, and you are playing too big for your bankroll if you would even consider it IMHO.

When I have a tiny stack (<4BB), I will sometimes fold to the next payout in three places:

1. The initial bubble.
2. 19th/18th
3. 10th place on.

Unless your stack is microscopically small there is very rarely a reason to fold your way to a bigger payoff unless you are at the final table. Occasionally, the difference in 19th and 18th might be enough to be a factor, but all of the other pay increases are irrelevant because the huge payout you earn when you occasionally win big far outweighs the extra $20 here and $30 there from folding.

Later,
Che
Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM

bigfishead-

[ QUOTE ]
Hell I mucked pocket 10's in MP in unopened pots!! I will constantly do this when I have substantially less than avg stack but have at least 10x blinds. I do not want to face a raise with a mediocre holding that can cost me my stack to easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? The fifth best hand is a mediocre holding?

I'm sure I could dream up an argument for folding 10's in MP in an unopened pot, but there can't be many non-supersatellite scenarios where that would be correct.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Later,
Che
Old 09-14-2004, 03:03 PM

Great reply, totaly aggree.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM

Mediocre at best...tournament vs live, qualified by other pertinent information. read it all.