Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Did I play this KK correctly?

His river check screams TT, QQ or AA to me. If he has a jack I really think he bets out here to insure himself one bet.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:44 PM

I guess the deciding factor on rasing these hands UTG is how comfortable with your postflop play. I raise TT, KQs, KQ virtually every time UTG. I probably raise ATs, KJs, and 99 75% of the time. I hardly ever raise QJs UTG, unless maybe if the table if quite tight or if there is a poster.

As you become more and more comfortable with your play, there will be more and more hands you can profitably raise

Also, you should always be raising with first in with TT and 3-betting in many cases.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a better question (and the one I was too tired to realize I was asking) - should I, as a TAG player, be raising these hands some percentage of the time? I believe that the answer here is yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But again, you have to really think about how the table is likely to react and when in doubt its probably better to muck these. ATs in particular is dangerous if you are likely to end up with only a few callers who won't call with weaker aces - you don't want to end up heads-up and betting into AJo the whole way when an A flops.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Results and Thanks

The Villain held the obvious A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]!

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks to all who replied. This thread shows me once again just how much work I need in my limit game:

1) In Limit, without a strong read on the Villain, the raises and re-raises are not +EV play over time. This is contrary to NL (if I made a post on the NL boards about this and I did not not get all of my chips in I would be ridiculed for being weak-tight - which I am [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I guess I got lucky on this one.

2) I read what was posted here in regards to raising pre-flop with certain hands. This prompted me to go back and reviewed my Jones and Sklansky. I am definitely playing too weak pre-flop with a lot of hands.

Thanks again to all that responded.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 AM

good thread but i can't believe people are saying to raise QJs UTG. that seems totally nuts to me. and while i'm far from an expert i'm a pretty experienced limit 5/10 and 3/6 player. i think if you review any of the 2+2 books you will not find that kind of thing being reccomended.