Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Hi Surfbullet!

You commented to my whining post and I decided to pm you and say thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
You gave many pointers I "knew" I was doing wrong. I didn't drop back to 0.5/1 yet, gave 1/2 another shot and won 30BB! 70 BB to go before break-even [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
21/14 is good for the 1/2... i'd say you could raise a bit more on the CO and button for value, especially first in - but don't get too crazy because the rake will eat you alive in your marginal hands. Opening up to a 30/20 strategy is a poor idea at this limit, because the rake is cost-prohibitive. Additionally, your opponents play so loose that your bets will(should) be for value and thus you won't be able to "steal" in the conventional sense very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very sensible line. I have read too many post that are played in 5/10 or 10/20 or even higher where players raise all kind of stuff! I really should avoid those post because those advices won't apply to 1/2.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you continuation-bet flops after a preflop raise too often? There are many times when you have 3+ opponents or a poor holding for the board (A8s on a KJQ board, etc) where you are not going to get folds and are better of trying to draw cheaply. Something to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always, I mean ALWAYS, used to bet if I raised pf. It didn't matter what to flop was or how many players there were! I "knew" this was wrong BUT reading too much 30/60 forum where they cap UIP AK or something like that. And hearing advices like, you should always bet if you raise pf in SH. I really must start to think with my OWN brain... and it is working [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Are you calling down with moderate-strength(MPGK, TPMK) in multi-way pots when it is clear you are beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, absolutely. And once again I blame these high-limit players. Well, I really can't blame them because in their limit, you are supposed to play marginal hands more agg. MPGK is terrible hand for me, I used to always lose bit bucks with that. Today, I actually folded couple of these [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Put your opponents on proper hand-ranges, when the passive guy raises the field on the turn 1 pair is almost always toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I should really try to read hands more! But let's blame the 10/20 players once more [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
They call like with UIP AK even if they face aggression and they won --> MPGK is better that UIP AK --> I must go to showdown [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Well, 1/2 aint 10/20, lol

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your advices! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] They were basic principles that I had somehow forget!

-Kalle-
Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Hi Surfbullet!

so genuine...cannot ridicule...
Old 10-12-2005, 03:53 PM

Hey Kalle,

looks like you may have posted this on accident, instead of PMing it. No worries though.

I'm glad you were able to benefit from my input. I over-adjusted when I moved to shorthanded and made many of the same mistakes it sounds like you are coping with. Good luck with it in the future - remember that 4,000 hands is a drop in the bucket, keep playing solid poker and you'll be fine.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Surf
Old 10-12-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a pretty cute post.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a pretty cute post.

[/ QUOTE ]

made even cuter by the winnie the pooh avatar!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:38 AM

Oh, man... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Didn't even get this one right!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 AM

This post needs more Emoticons.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post needs more Emoticons.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

edit - bisonbison used to say something about how all the evil in the universe was manifested in emoticons or something ridiculous like that. that guy was hilarious.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 AM

oh my god this is the coolest thread ever.

POTY!!!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 03:42 AM

You should note that in 1-2 you should bluff less (unless you have established the guy as someone who is weak-tight and doesnt see showdown much) and value bet more. Your unimproved AK *will* get called down by MPBK - hell, if the guy is on a straight draw and he rivers a pair, he will call you.