Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Set play?

[ QUOTE ]
5-handed?? Try a raise preflop with 8's....

[/ QUOTE ]
With 4 people in, and me OOP, I am playing this for set value. I dont really like building pots OOP without premium hands. 3 betting this flop screams set...i think. And if i do threebet, what to I take it to? 30? 25? I feel like that lets him off TPTK, but not two pair....so I dont know how I feel about it.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM

I don't see K8 or K6 as a problem... if they had AK they probably would have raised preflop right? Also 5 handed why didn't you raise preflop?

On flop I would pot it and then call similar to what you did. I like your turn bet given pot size but on the river you have to push it in there... the hand I would be worried about is K10.

Guin
Old 11-29-2005, 02:44 PM

you are only realistically worried about K 10. I don't think he has K8 because of your 88 hand, and k6 is a pretty crappy holding even if he did limp in. I think KJ, KQ, K9...a horribly misplay AK are all possible, as is 66. I push the river and if he has KT then oh well.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5-handed?? Try a raise preflop with 8's....

[/ QUOTE ]
With 4 people in, and me OOP, I am playing this for set value. I dont really like building pots OOP without premium hands. 3 betting this flop screams set...i think. And if i do threebet, what to I take it to? 30? 25? I feel like that lets him off TPTK, but not two pair....so I dont know how I feel about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

RE: THIS POST, NOT OP...

that's true. To be honest, i try not to play-up my small pp's OOP too much either. And yeah, it does scream set.
But here's why you might wanna mix it up and consider that PF raise...

if you raise pre-flop, get callers, then you got a decent pot. The only hand that beats you at this point is KK. SO if they fold, that's fine, b/c you'll get some chips. At this point, you
A> can be a little less worried about the flush draw, check the flop if you feel like gambling against that flush. But once that 3rd spade comes, you got MORE problems and LESS info. YOu're on your own now. IF the spade didn't come, and the turn is promising to them, you gotta (a 3-in-1 functioned bet) 1-prevent the draw now, but 2-let them call the 2-pair or even smaller set, but 3-know if they've got a hand to beat you...

B> Bet for value representing your set. They might think you got the pair of K's. If they re-raise, you know they most likely have the set of K's OR kings up (2 pair). (depends on how much the raise is). If they slowplay your raise on the flop and call you, then most likely you got the hand even with their set, as that 3-flush will cause THEM a lot of problems and your bet could possibly represent a semibluff...

Anyways, in my opinion, i hate ppl catching. So usually, i bet it out. So be it if the pot sucks. Better win a little than lose a lot.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasnt sure if I should have re-popped the flop. Turn left me not really knowing what to do. River I was worried about K8 or K6...and wasnt sure if I should push due to the flop action. I feel like I was trying to control the pot size...and get value...so it feels like I played it horribly.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($90.40)
Button ($113.25)
Hero ($77.25)
BB ($109.40)
UTG ($78.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, [color=#CC3333]MP raises to $7</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($18) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $10</font>, MP calls $10.

River: ($38) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets $15</font>, [color=#CC3333]MP raises to $50</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $138

[/ QUOTE ]

RE: OP

Any 2-flush, don't risk it. Pre-flop smells like "not-pocket-kings", so you gotta end it with a decent size pot there already...

Sniff the air.. relish it... taste it... then push all in on the flop...

pick your spots to slowplay carrreeffulllyyy....
Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Results?

You guys want results yet? Or wait for a few more responses?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Results?

it doesn't matter to me really... I think we all have our opinion as to how you played it... (not necessarilly bad).. (well, i thikn you made a few teeny tiny mistakes)...

I think you won it to his flush or trips or something...

But i think this was a great hand to post...
Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM

I guess some of the posters are worried that the MP is raising on the flop with a flush draw. Is this common though? Betting out is a better play than raising on a bluff because you don't have to get away with/draw out as often because you are putting in less money to win the pot outright.

With 4 players seeing the flop and you betting out and one person yet to speak I don't really put his raise on the flush draw. It is too likely to get called or raised to be useful I think.

Any reactions?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Results.

Ok, well he had As3s for a turned flush, and I sucked out on the river. In retrospect I should have popped the flop. But the question is, does the ablity to control the pot size make you more money with a slowplay? This had I definitely did NOT feel in control. But you know...it happens.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 PM

He had 6's over k's? full house and your hand was good? Or KQ and you won.