Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Default AQ offsuit - How to play Preflop?

I generally like to call with this hand in EP or behind one limper. If it's suited I like to open for a raise from any position. Occasinally I'll open in EP with AQ offsuit, but normally I like to call with it. I'll generally open for a raise behind 2 or more limpers, and if I'm opening in late position, I will normally bring it in for a raise with AQoffsuit.

If I call with AQ os, and it's raised behind me, sometimes I will fold.

Comments / Suggestions on playing AQ os ?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: AQ offsuit - How to play Preflop?

I like nearly all of that. I typically won't call raises with it, especially OOP.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally like to call with this hand in EP or behind one limper. If it's suited I like to open for a raise from any position. Occasinally I'll open in EP with AQ offsuit, but normally I like to call with it. I'll generally open for a raise behind 2 or more limpers, and if I'm opening in late position, I will normally bring it in for a raise with AQoffsuit.

If I call with AQ os, and it's raised behind me, sometimes I will fold.

Comments / Suggestions on playing AQ os ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much how I've learned to play it. Open-raising with it in EP just gets you into trouble as you usually only get called by better hands.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 AM

If you are playing in games where all the players are of two plus two caliber, then you should probably play AQ with great caution.

But: If you are playing in these kinds of games, well, why are you playing in these kinds of games?

The thing is, only AA, AK, KK, and QQ have AQ in bad shape.
The way to win money with AQ is to be the aggressor with it. Only the very good players will pick up on your tendency to play AQ strongly, and they may try to exploit it, but just think about how rare the circumstances occur that would allow this: in order for a player to "teach you a lesson about playing AQ" they have to have a hand that dominates you when you hold AQ. Then, they have to hope that you are willing to go broke with what is most likely 1 pair against a tight, knowledgable player who is giving you considerable action when you hold AQ.

In short, this shouldn't happen much. When you hold AQ and such a player gives you action: you are beat and you will usually be able to figure it out.

As long as you know AQ can be dangerous, and obviously you do or you wouldn't post this, you can play it for a nice profit. I play it pretty much how I play AK except that I almost never call raises that come from strong players with it.