Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Played internet poker for the first time today!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok here's the shocker, really GREAT poker players STILL have nights where they lose money, in fact, sometimes they still lose big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, fish

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha this guy is such a joke... okay doyle, so you never lose big? no no, i forgot, you never even LOSE... wow, man. i wish i was so good i could MANIPULATE ODDS -- even good players get sucked out on you [censored] moron. your head should be cut off
Old 09-11-2005, 01:57 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, this is obviously a huge site, what articles do you think I should look at first? Where are all the articles located?

I will post some hands after I take a day or two off, I will deposit another 50 on monday or tuesday and play the micro stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . Won 2/3 tournaments that I played though, not bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 09-11-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats why everytime I take a hit I try to take a few days off so that I don't take another hit

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the way poker works.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:01 AM

Hey, what's up. You are right, online poker is a different beast from live poker. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it after a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thats why everytime I take a hit I try to take a few days off so that I don't take another hit

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the way poker works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jman, I said I am a decent player but I have a lot to learn, so tell me what I need to do, I want to learn. If I loose big should I just shrug it off and keep playing?

Thanks augie I hope so!
Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hahahaha this guy is such a joke... okay doyle, so you never lose big? no no, i forgot, you never even LOSE... wow, man. i wish i was so good i could MANIPULATE ODDS -- even good players get sucked out on you [censored] moron. your head should be cut off

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha you're awesome man. You're probably 6'6 270 and would beat me up if you saw me on the street, so I'll hide behind my coke-bottle glasses and suspenders and laugh through the internet.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:01 AM

Default Catch 22

People won't give you the time of day if your post isn't full of content, yet they won't tell you what constitutes good content (mainly because you wouldn't understand without experience).

The best way around this catch 22 is the forum faqs for each forum.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jman, I said I am a decent player but I have a lot to learn, so tell me what I need to do, I want to learn. If I loose big should I just shrug it off and keep playing?

Thanks augie I hope so!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every hand dealt is an independent event from every previous hand. Just because you have a losing streak does not mean that by taking time off, you won't have another one. Thinking like this is a major flaw in many new players game.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks augie I hope so!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every hand dealt is an independent event from every previous hand. Just because you have a losing streak does not mean that by taking time off, you won't have another one. Thinking like this is a major flaw in many new players game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you there because in many new players, like myself emotion comes to the table. If they win big pots they may get over excited and play to loose, if they lose a big pot they can go on tilt and either play weak tight or just way to loose. I have taken math courses and understand the logic that you are describing, but math isn't the only aspect of cards.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:24 AM

You stated [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You didn't state, so that you don't go on tilt, the way you wrote that sentence. If you are taking time off to prevent yourself from going on tilt, then fine, you're right. But if one losing session is enough to put you on tilt and cause you to have to take a few days off, then you shouldn't be playing poker, you clearly don't have the emotional control necessary to play the game. You are also clearly playing way too high for your bankroll. At your bankroll you should be playing 5 cent / 10 cent max. While oftentimes, for marginal players, math isn't the only aspect to the cards, and their emotion gets the best of them, it should be, and if its not, you have a problem. The fact that you are stating that even individual pots (winning and losing) affect your play is a serious red flag.