Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Default At what limits do you start using your winnings as income?

Lets say youre rolled for 2000NL. Would you use what you make over your roll as income or would you try to build up your roll to play higher limits?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: At what limits do you start using your winnings as income?

At 4k-8k it's acceptable to use some of your winnings as income.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:20 PM

If you can't use your winnings at 2K NL as income, you need to move down in limits.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:34 PM

Isn't it obvious that this is a completely personal question? For instance, my goal is to play really high. So I will probably not withdraw money from my poker roll for years and instead just move up in limits. But that's fine because I don't have many expenses and I have a good salary from my job that more than covers them. Obviously everyone is in a different situation, though, with different goals, different expenses and different sources of income. How can there be one answer to this? How can you not know the answer for yourself?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Immediately. Why else would you play poker? Anyway, once you reach about 2/4, the level of bankroll growth far exceeds one's skill growth, and moving up along with your bankroll would lead to playing 50/100 and losing a ton. I'm chilling at 5/10 and 10/20 and I don't know if I'll bother playing higher, so I might as well use the extra money for something. Plus I have laser eye surgery in a month and I need to pay for it somehow, and I'm a student with no real job.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't use your winnings at 2K NL as income, you need to move down in limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if instead of winning at 2k and spending your money over your roll, would be better to hold onto the money and buildup a roll for a higher limit.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Immediately. Why else would you play poker? Anyway, once you reach about 2/4, the level of bankroll growth far exceeds one's skill growth, and moving up along with your bankroll would lead to playing 50/100 and losing a ton. I'm chilling at 5/10 and 10/20 and I don't know if I'll bother playing higher, so I might as well use the extra money for something. Plus I have laser eye surgery in a month and I need to pay for it somehow, and I'm a student with no real job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point about bankroll growth. You must hit a point where you are winning so much at a limit but when you move up to a limit you have enough money for its harder to win. Have you tried 20/40?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:12 PM

If you want to continue to play higher and higher, moving up in the ranks and levels, take as little as possible out of your BR. Otherwise, I reccomend having 50 buyins for NL before you take all of your winnings, and 500 BB's for limit before you quit putting back into your BR.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if instead of winning at 2k and spending your money over your roll, would be better to hold onto the money and buildup a roll for a higher limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Above 2K you start to get into some really, really tough games. A lot of guys up there feast on people "taking a shot".