Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 AM

Default A flopped straight hits massive aggression.

This was I believe the villain's second hand at the table. On his previous hand he also went bezerk, but seeing as he had QQ and a flush on the turn I couldn't really blame him. He did buy in with the minimum though if that means anything to you.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero...

Yeah, them big blind specials are really something, and this guy seems to love his hand too. When the board pairs and I'm thinking about putting in the last two bets though (he's sure to cap it), something goes off in my mind. The most obvious hand he could have with this aggression is another straight, in which case we split--in fact, 3 betting and letting him cap here is bad for both of us since we just feed the rake.

More importantly, he'd also need specifically 43 to do so, and he'd have to be even loser than the average Stars .25/.50 fish to play that--although hey, it is connected and it might even be sooted!. So what else could he have? He could have been limping KK or QQ, in which case I'll just laugh my way to the bank. More likely though is him flopping Aces up or a set, and with a second Ace on the turn that spells bad news.

And so I'm torn: capping seems counterproductive here as a split is certainly possible, as well as a loss. On the other hand he could be an idiot; who knows. This is a toughie for me, and I'm not really clear how I should proceed. Do I go ahead and 3-bet here, or just call?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: A flopped straight hits massive aggression.

No, to me the most obvious thing that would be getting capped here is either two pair (ace-rag anyone) or a set (22/55.. AA if he's a dick). Once the A pairs, you are boned. I just slow down then (to.. the turn 3-bet), as the only thing that you beat now is an ultra-aggro TPMK into trips.

-K
Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 AM

I'm check/call the river. I'm fairly convinced by the turn cap that I'm behind a full house.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The most obvious hand he could have with this aggression is another straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
uh I think this is the least obvious and least likely.

[ QUOTE ]
He could have been limping KK or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, I was wrong. this has got to be the least likely.

[ QUOTE ]
More likely though is him flopping Aces up or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
now you're talking. the way he's not backing down it looks like he flopped 2pair or a set and filled up on the turn.

I put the brakes on after his turn cap and c/c the river. I think a 3bet here is out of the question.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:40 AM

That turn card is ugly, brutal ugly, we're talking Kirsty Alley naked here. I'm going to wuss out and just call his turn raise and check/call the river. Str8's on the flop are so easily counterfieted and it's really hard to tell if you're still good. And this is a classic example.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:32 AM

I would put em on a set of 2s or 5s on the flop, possibly 2 pair with A2 or A5.

Either way, all of the possible hands I can put him on pretty much screw your straight. I call the raise on the turn and then check/call the river expecting to be shown a full house.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 AM

I'd bet call the turn, and check call the river.

The paired board is too scary to continue with agression due to the probable full house.

I wouldn't be thinking 3-4 though!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:32 AM

Once you're raised on the turn, you're either up against a boat or villian is grossly overplaying some weaker holding. Just call down from there.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:19 AM

So have we dismissed the possibility of AA, KK, or AK because it looks like a slow-played pre-flop? (I'm new, so learning here.)

Once the Ace dropped on the flop, he seemed to like it, which to this newbie, looks like he had one in his hand and either a very good kicker, or a 2 or 5 for two pairs. And he wasn't put off by the K on the river either which tells me he had you beaten. 22 or 55? Someone help here, I can't decide.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 11:08 AM

The turn 3-bet is close to being overplayed but I guess he might have just a big A so I don't hate it. Leading the river after he caps the turn is bad. 9 times out of 10 he has the boat and you're dead in the water. Check call there for the size of the pot and that 1 in 10 chance he's a moron.