Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Letter to friends and family

I am posting this in a couple spots, I post on here frequently but to save face for people that I play with day in and day out, and that post on here, I am posting this under a different 2+2 name. I think I have hit rock bottom and its time for me to get some help, Im going to give this letter to some of the real friends I have left along with my parents I belive, I am to choked up to just bring it up with them, but I think I want some thoughts I dont know if any one has experienced what I am about to.

I am putting this is a note form because I didn’t think I could of cleary explain what I am about to tell you. For the past 2 years I have been hiding it showing a smile when it was all tears inside, poker, and gambling have destroyed my life. Weekends when I told you I was skiing and hanging out with friends, were all lies, my time was wasted alone, in front of the computer, and the card table playing poker, suffering the highs and the lows of gambling and poker. I’ve run my self into debt, and lost friendships over money owed, I’ve also lost friends because I did not spend time with them any more rather I was busy playing poker or gambling my life away, All of this behind your back for the most part, I am truly sorry for what I got my self into I thought I did not have a addictive personality but I got sucked right into the lifestyle behind gambling, and now I am left depressed and broke, and in debt. I don’t want to be yelled at or punished for all this, but I don’t know where to turn I figure before this gets any worse than it already is I have come to you. Help Me
Old 03-13-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Letter to friends and family

I think this would make a good letter to "Dear Abby" under the "Evil Gambling" headline.

This site is about learning to play poker, improving your skills, and playing with an advantage.

There is a big difference between playing skilled poker with an advantage and wasting your time "suffering the highs and the lows of gambling and poker".

So I guess your major problem was you didn't learn the difference.

PS>> Dear Abby will tell you to go to GA.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Good luck man. I've been at that point in my life, not from gamblinb, but from other [censored], and all I can say is good luck. They'll help you.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:42 PM

It's commendable that you've recognized that you have a problem and are taking steps to improve yourself. Keep in mind that in the grand scheme of things, there are much worse addictions than gambling that a person can fall victim too, and there are many others with the same problem. It doesn't mean that you're a bad person, etc..

if your friends honestly care about you, they will help and support you through what is likely to be a difficult time.

gamblers annonomous is appearently your best option at this point, they have helped many people with the same problems as yourself. Hopefully you will be able to use your experiences as motivation to solve this and other problems in your life.

good luck, and don't gamble anymore (but you knew that).
Old 03-14-2005, 06:34 AM

Good luck guy.

It's great that you are admitting that you have a problem. It took a lot of balls to write this post.

Hope you get the help that you need.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:59 PM

its 8-5 you wont make it...
Old 03-18-2005, 08:23 AM

Thank you for posting this. I truly hope that you will find the power to overcome your disease. A family member of mine goes to GA and it seems to help them. Although they still go on occasional binges, they are mostly discipled and lives a very productive life. There is hope. You just have to take the steps.

It sounds to me like you've made a very important step towards becoming a recovering compulsive gambler.

BTW, part of the reason why this family member is able to not ruin himself financially is that his longtime girlfriend controls all of his money. She's an absolutely amazing individual. I hope you find the support you need.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Sounds like one less fish in the sea.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like one less fish in the sea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are right and he stays out no matter how fishy. I like to think that I'm not taking money from people that are gambling diseased and ruining their lives. I want to win money from people that gambool for fun and can afford it.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:19 PM

Dude. Just accept that a lot of poker income is derived from sick degenerate gambling freaks.