Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Going to D.C. next week

He read a book written by a soldier about his experiences in vietnam and we rented the movie We Were Soldiers about the battle in the Ia Drang valley in I think 1965. I bought the book the movie was based on and we have discussed a lot of vietnam era history. I even took him to a vietnamese restaurant. I am not that thrilled about his fascination with guns and war and violence but I am trying to use his interest as a learning experience. Hey he asked to go to D.C. on vacation instead of disney. I won't complain.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the korean war memorial is pretty close to the water basin where all the cherry trees are. actualy, the FDR memorial is right next to it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Korean memorial is next to the Lincoln memorial and quite a ways from the basin. You'll see that when you go to see the vietnam memorial.

Don't skip FDR as it is often overlooked and worth a visit. I proposed to my wife there.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The cost of the statue was $850,000 (1954 Dollars.)"
-
"Gagnon was an airlines clerk, Bradley was an entrepreneur and Hayes lived in a $50 hut on the Gila Indian Reservation."
-
"Within 10 weeks Ira Hayes would be found frozen, face down in an irrigation ditch. He died of exposure and alcohol at the age of 33, almost 10 years to the day he helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima."

[/ QUOTE ]

Iwo Jima
Old 08-05-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you want to take the blue or the yellow line. i think they have an arlington stop. if you're at the mall you may need to transfer, i dont have the map memorized though.

im thinking it might just be the blue line though.

aside from the war monuments, there's the water basin by the TJ monument (i think thats the one), that place is pretty cool.

Also, the korean war memorial is pretty close to the water basin where all the cherry trees are. actualy, the FDR memorial is right next to it as well.

there are all the museums too. (the spy museum, your 9 yr old might like that)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell I am going to the spy museum for me. If he likes it too then great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Korean memorial is next to the Lincoln memorial and quite a ways from the basin. You'll see that when you go to see the vietnam memorial.

Don't skip FDR as it is often overlooked and worth a visit. I proposed to my wife there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say the Korean War Memorial is that far from the Tidal Basin. I second the need to check out FDR btw. It's on the way to the Jefferson if you walk from Lincoln/Korean.

Been here for 2 years and last night and I just saw the Iwo Jima memorial for the first time during a cab ride home. Looked really cool and I'm planning on heading back there sometime soon to really take a look.

Also, if it's possible, try to see the monuments once during the day, but then again at night. It's really amazing seeing them lit up against a dark sky. Even if you just have time to drive around a bit after dark, it's worth it. Seeing the Capitol at night still impresses me every time.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say the Korean War Memorial is that far from the Tidal Basin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right. It is probably only a mile or so to the basin. However, it's probably twice that to the Jefferson memorial which is where you should be heading if going to the basin. OP says he has a car though so this should be a non-issue.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hell I am going to the spy museum for me. If he likes it too then great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'll probably like it, it's a pretty cool place. I'm not sure how the lines are anymore - I went not too long after it opened and they were formidable - but it might take a little longer than some other museums.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Link

That's a link to a good map of the Metro system and the areas around all the Metro stops.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:27 PM

Another good place for a view is the Kennedy Center. You don't need to have tickets to shows or anything to go and you get a nice view of the waterfront. Also, if your son is old enough and a lover of ethnic foods then Adams Morgan is great for dinner.

I'd also second the idea of seeing the monuments at night (especially Lincoln and Jefferson) the white marble is beautiful in the light.

The Holocaust museum is incredible, but probably a little bit much for kids.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude take him to the spy museum, it's fun and he'll love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a must.