Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 05:00 PM

Default I feel like a fish

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls $15.33 (All-In).

River: (14.76 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 14.76 BB
Old 10-01-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: I feel like a fish

How about some reads?
Still, calling K4s from the SB usually sucks...

Other than that.. fine I guess...
Old 10-01-2005, 05:06 PM

table was too aggressive for its own good
Old 10-01-2005, 05:06 PM

I don't really see anything too bad with this.
Preflop- come may fold. If you knew BB was probably going to call makes this call better.
Flop- Leading the flop would be cool to try and trap players. Since you checked, there is no use in check raising and you should just call
Turn- Bummer but you do need to hold on tight.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:08 PM

Why do you feel like a fish? The only -EV play you made was calling preflop from the SB and even that's only slightly negative.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:05 PM

I think the preflop call is a slightly -EV play. BTW, I think the fact that the table is overaggressive makes it even more -EV. My reasoning is that you aren't going to make very many strong hands that you can extract a lot of bets with (only flushes and two pair and trip fours come to mind). Flopping a naked king is a tricky hand to play, as you want to put pressure on weak draws and extract value when ahead but also want to avoid dumping a lot of chips when you're outkicked and drawing to three outs. I don't think you're getting the right price to come in here, especially if there's any possibility that BB will raise. You're getting 5.25 : .75 = 7 : 1 if BB calls, so you're real odds are a little worse than that. I think the line might be at around K9s - KTs that I would generally call here, a little looser if I was playing with poor postflop players and felt that I had a good read on the table or if button's PF raising standards were looser than normal (a little tighter if the opposite conditions hold). Maybe that's a little tight, but if you're going to turn marginal hands into profitable ones you have to every advantage at your disposal to do so.

The rest of the hand looks good. Sometimes I will lead the flop here. I think it has some deceptive value where I might get an extra bet if the flush or straight hits and sometimes the button will have a weak hand like QJ that he will raise the flop and take a free card with. But check-calling is a good line too.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:08 PM

I hand chose the table so I felt that I was fairly ahead.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:11 PM

don't you normally play 5/10? why the jump? looks like you're going through a downswing w/ all the hand posts. moving up levels is not gonna help, believe me.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:13 PM

i play 5/10 10/20 15/30 20/40..
Old 10-01-2005, 07:31 PM

you're underrolled and looking to crash even harder than i did last month. and i was rolled.