Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 01:16 AM

Default Party Poker 15/30, laydown of top pair top kicker

I'm new at this table, I have no read on my opponent:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 raises, Hero calls, Button 3-bets, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (11.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.83 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.83 BB

Comments? I'm most concerned by my preflop and flop play leading to problems on the turn.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Party Poker 15/30, laydown of top pair top kicker

you did ok
i would play like that or come in raising BF...this way you would have had a better feel of the flop and you would of got to know the players [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2004, 01:41 AM

What is BF?
Old 06-18-2004, 01:57 AM

Misplayed on every street. Severely, IMO.
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 02:03 AM

I think so too-- could you elaborate?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:11 AM

3-bet preflop. Raise for a whole slew/plethora/cornucopia of reasons. You know all this, that's why the hand bothers you. Playing the flop differently won't help you too much here. A bet or c/r here is an alternative, but waiting to c/r the turn also has some merit. You'll probably see the turn either way and you'll still be lost if the button doesn't fold. Again, the pre-flop raise is key!

In general, smoothcalling with AQs is much better when first in from EP where your raise most likely wouldn't result in getting position on your opps. Position is huge - take it when you can get it.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:53 AM

I agree with almost everything said here. I think 3-betting pre-flop is debatable. You really need to see a flop with A-Qs since A high usually (almost never) does not hold up on its own. You definetly need to C/R the flop to find out where you stand. If you get 3-bet I would call and look to the turn for help.

When the turn brings a jack you got to realize that this gives you more outs (Q,A,K)and since the pot is prob offering you about 10-1 with pot/implied odds you need to at least call the turn. Then at the river you should probably call if there is a 10% chance your hand might be good.

You got to realize that people on pp 3-bet with a variety of hands (88,99,77,etc). People also 3-bet a loose raiser with hands like KQ,AJ,A10.

Next time show some aggression somewhere and you'll feel a lot better about your play.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:05 AM

Three-bet preflop. Having failed to do so, bet the flop and hope he raises to drive out the field. Having failed to do so, don't you dare fold this heads up. He could have AJ, AT, KQ, or as little as an underpair to the board for Christ's sake. The pot is huge! You have TPTK! You haven't even made a peep yet! Why are you calling, checking, calling, and folding with a premium hand in a soft game?
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think 3-betting pre-flop is debatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three betting in the game he is playing is automatic. AQs will be a superior hand to most of his opponents who have already called.

[ QUOTE ]
You really need to see a flop with A-Qs since A high usually (almost never) does not hold up on its own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things may change on the flop but you raise preflop because of your hand's value at the moment. This thinking is weak tight - i.e. Call/Check see if you improve.

BTW folding on the turn is a crime.

Orange
Old 06-18-2004, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys-- this was again an example of confusing myself by cold calling preflop. I almost never cold call preflop, and it screwed me up for the rest of the hand.

Had I 3 bet preflop I would have been better able to figure out what the hand was of the opponent behind me. If I had raised the flop I would have been able to figure out what his hand was. And folding the turn was terrible, because I have a strong hand and I haven't even made an attempt to figure out how strong his hand is.

Thanks for all of the comments.