Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Best reality show ever? (minimal poker content)

12 professional poker players live together in a house. Each of them starts with a bankroll of $100. Obviously, if they bust out, they are done. The first person to turn $100 into $250,000 wins that money, plus all the money of their roomates' bankrolls, plus another $500,000 or something.

They are givin everything that they need to live so the BR is used only for poker. They can play live or online. And they are encouraged to play each other live whenever possible and at whatever stakes they agree on.

Sounds good, no?

Marlow
Old 09-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Best reality show ever? (minimal poker content)

How long do they have. You want someone to make a 250000% return on there money in a year. I don't think it's probable or possible even if there name is Phil Ivey or Barry Greenstein. I guess they could win a tourney or something.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:53 PM

I suppose it could take a little too long...

Maybe if they started with 1k they could get it done in the right amount of time. Then perhaps they could all play in bi-weekly in-house tourneys where the winners gets a few grand or something.

The format could be tweaked, but I think the idea of turning a little into a lot just through poker would be really compelling TV. And it's certainly possible. Just ask guys like TheBruiser500 who turned $150 into a roll that supported him at the 50-100 NL game in less than one year. There are lots of guys in the MHNL forum who came up very quickly. Now if these contestants were excellent pros, then they might have a shot.

I like the idea of having peopel talk about other player's tells on camera. When two players are getting close, they play HU for all the $. The possibilities are endless...

Marlow
Old 09-08-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

12 professional poker players live together in a house. Each of them starts with a bankroll of $100. Obviously, if they bust out, they are done. The first person to turn $100 into $250,000 wins that money, plus all the money of their roomates' bankrolls, plus another $500,000 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me skeptical, but I don't know how many people would be that interested in watching a bunch of people grind it out at 0.25/0.50. "In Episode Three, a few competitors finally make it to $1/$2 and everyone gets drunk and screws in the hot tub."
Old 09-08-2005, 05:03 PM

very, very lame
Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 PM

this thread is weak
Old 09-08-2005, 05:20 PM

The average viewer does not want to see a bunch of people grind away for relatively small amounts of money over a long period of time. They want to see big all in coinflips and people competing for a million dollars decided by a few hands. Not to mention the fact that anyone who is talented enough to win that much at poker probably wouldn't make an interesting TV personality.

If you changed it to where "Poker Pros" compete to turn "normal people" (read typical young, hot reality show people) and whomever's player won the most would win (in high limit games), then you might start to have a show. It would still be unlikely to succeed though because it would be in conflict with the public perception that poker is a highly luck driven gambling game and skill isn't a great factor.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me skeptical, but I don't know how many people would be that interested in watching a bunch of people grind it out at 0.25/0.50. "In Episode Three, a few competitors finally make it to $1/$2 and everyone gets drunk and screws in the hot tub."

[/ QUOTE ]

Since most of the players would be men, the consequences of "everyone screws in the hot tub" would be pretty darn hilarious when everyone goes to the Poker Confessional. It would be the TV equivilant of "I usually play really tight, but sometimes when we get drunk in a reality TV show, gay sex abounds"
Old 09-09-2005, 01:50 PM

I dont know of any top notch poker players that would waste a year on a reality show whent the could be making alot more money playing poker. its like asking tom cruise to spend a year on a reality show.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know of any top notch poker players that would waste a year on a reality show whent the could be making alot more money playing poker. its like asking tom cruise to spend a year on a reality show.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many top notch players do you know, exactly?

Methinks you underestimate how much people want to be on the TeeVee.

Marlow