Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:53 AM

Default My poker coach is unfair...

I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game. I currently play 3/6 6 max and 5/10 6 max. He spends a good amount of time with me, but recently he asked me to do a couple math problems (calculating how many times a hand like 98s hits the flop well, and doing the same with 97s), and I have not done them this past week even though I said I would. I don't think he understands that I'm married with a child on the way, and although I just freed up 40 hours a week by quitting my job to play poker full time, I've just not had the time to sit down and crunch the numbers. He argues that it would only take 20 minutes each max, so I should have done it by now, and that I'm only making excuses. Do you think he's being harsh, or do you think I should have somehow done these? Is he being unfair? Unreasonable?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-20-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: My poker coach is unfair...

suck it up and do the math, btw, get ready for the barrage of 'you shouldn't have quit your day job' posts.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:06 AM

No offense, but are you married? Have you ever prepared for having a child? Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day? I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but are you married?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, this should have been taken into consideration as you were deciding to go pro
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever prepared for having a child?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, I do know that a solid stable 40hr/week job is preferable over something like poker
[ QUOTE ]
Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day?

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, but this is exactly why people with no dependants are favoured to take up poker for living[ QUOTE ]

I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know you, and my lack of understanding as you put it maybe because of the lack of information you have provided.

Honestly, what did you want to hear? "Your coach is a jerk, etc etc" Please be ready for whatever response is given and once again, suck it up.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:36 AM

wait.

So you're married with a child on the way - a family to take care of.

You quit your job to play poker for a living.

You play 3/6 and are in need of a poker coach.

Perhaps the better alternative would have been to get good first before quitting your job.

=[
Old 11-20-2005, 04:48 AM

He isnt unfair, he just wants to show you how one gappers are a fair bit worse at straights than real-connectors.

Anyways, you should really look into getting a non-poker job for now. Playing shorthanded as the only income source, when you are still just laerning it, is asking for trouble. Limit shorthanded has a lot of variance. If you are making some frequent errors along the way, it can become really rough.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:50 AM

WTF? Why would you go pro playing 3/6??
Old 11-20-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hired someone to do a job. He's doing his job.

What am I missing?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Personal opinion: You have screwed tha pooch and at the same time gotten your d**k up your own butt.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 AM

what python said.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:13 AM

If he is so good at poker, why does he need to moonlight as a coach???

Face it, math problems are for high school kids and nerdy scientists. You are a working professional now, you can't be expected to devote minutes a day on trivial things like this.

Do you think doctors waste their time reading "medical journals" or lawyers waste their time studying "legal briefs"??? Hell no they don't, and as an equally astute professional you shouldn't waste your time...

Remember the poker proverb:
Give a man a hard and fast chart on how to play hold'em and he plays for a day.
Teach a man how to think about hold'em and......he grows bored because this is not a fast enough way to make money.

Anyway...fire his lame ass, kiss your wife, and get out there and build your bankroll.