Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 PM

Default AA out of position

villain was 28/8 and went to the showdown only about 18% of the time, but he has an aggression number of 4 on the flop. My thoughts are included. Let me add, I hate playing out of position.

Party Poker (6 max, 5 handed)
Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font> villain bets $3 hero raises to $9 villain calls.

<font color="green"> OK, so he's got a pretty good hand. Thinking AK KQ AQ QQ JJ 1010 99</font>

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="green">I think that he "probably" has AK KQ, so I figure that if I put a half sized bet in he'll probably raise with AK and maybe even KQ. He might even raise QQ or JJ because of his high aggro numbers. </font>

Hero bets $8 Villain raises to $25

<font color="green"> good, he raised me to about the size of the old pot (before I put in my bet) putting him pretty solidly on AK (I realize two of the aces are gone) or KQ now. So I figure he might not call a 3 bet and think a stopngo is the way to do it.</font>

Hero calls

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="green"> This is a blank, I figure I just want to get him all in. I put another half pot sized bet in (if he calls he then I'll push him on the river unless a king comes).</font>

Hero bets $30 Villain raises all in to $60 Hero calls

Alright. So after thinking about this hand I figure that I'm overvaluing AA. Especially against a guy with %18 seeing the showdown. I see a couple other ways to play it.

1. Bet the pot on the flop
problems
-if he raises I pretty much have to call AK or KQ are too likely as well as a bluff
-if he calls, check/folding on the turn is too weak but check calling may get me a cheaper showdown.

Basically I think that with these stack sizes I'm getting it all in with AA. Maybe I'm too aggressive. Does anybody play it differently?