Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Default KQs hypothetical

You're playing in a pretty normal micro-limit game, but there is a semi-skilled player at the table with you as well. The semi-skilled player seems to follow a good preflop chart and his postflop game is above average. He misses some value bets in multiway pots, especially when scare cards fall, but in heads up pots he's able to maintain the aggression a little better. He also misses out on the pot-building value raises. He calls down a little too often when he holds a decent hand because he's afraid of getting bluffed out of the pot. If he 3-bets, he means business. He's one of those 1.5 BB/100 almost-TAGs that can beat the game, but can't crush it.

You raise a KQs from MP with a couple limpers and get 3-bet out of the blinds by the semi-skilled player. All the limpers call (of course) and so do you. It's 4 to the flop with about 12 SB in the pot. The flop is QJ8 giving you top pair and putting a flush draw on the board. Villain bets out and gets called by one of the limpers.

You get caught for a moment between raising and calling, and decide to simply call. You're not comfortable with the semi-skilled player's hand range because he holds a lot of hands that beat you. You decide that it's probably close and make a mental note to yourself to post it to the Mirco-Limit forum after your session is over.

The turn is another queen and it doesn't help the flush draw. Villain bets and the limper folds.
1) What range of hands do you put villain on?
2) Raise or call?
3) Why is your action better than the other option?
4) What do you think about your flop call?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: KQs hypothetical

AA, KK, JJ, prolly not TT or 99, maybe AK, AQs.
I thought about raising, but I think I'll call and raise the river. This likely gets an extra BB out of AA or KK that would be more apt to make a crying call rather than fold when they're obviously beaten. I don't think I'd raise a river T, since not only is it more likely we're behind, but we'll get fewer calls from AA and KK. We can just call this turn because any hand he might have has 4 or fewer outs if we're ahead.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 PM

[grunch]
1) Villain's range: AA, KK, JJ, AK, maybe TT. AQ a possibility, but there are only 4 ways Villain could hold it, and sounds like he tends to err on the side of being too tight with his raises.

2) Raise because we are now ahead of everything Villain holds except AQ and JJ. I'm not worried about him failing to call us down. Pot is already big, plus if he has AA/KK, this player is definitely seeing the river, and AK will call one more bet as well with the straight draw. I raise this for value.

3)See above.

4)With the limper as overlay, I raise this flop, but I don't mind the call.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM

1. My range of hands...AK, AQs, 99+
2. I have to raise this turn.
3. I could make a case for calling and raising the river, but I think if he has KK AA he's going to give you plenty of action.
4. I'd have to peel the flop getting 14:1.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:41 PM

Hmm, good question.

He could be on a draw say KT, T9, or A-X suited for the flush draw, also could have AA,KK, JJ, or even 88 although I'd discount the 8's since I can't see 3-betting into a MP raise, QJ suited? Can't see a 3-bet from that and holding the last Q, but stranger thinks have happened. Would keep it in mind.

Since you didn't raise with top pair after the flop, you couldn't get him to define the strength of his hand. Personaaly, flop call seems like a weak play.

I raise the turn, only hand I'm afaid of is T9. My thinking is if he reraises, he's got to have the nut straight and I need to pair the board or catch the case Q.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing in a pretty normal micro-limit game, but there is a semi-skilled player at the table with you as well. The semi-skilled player seems to follow a good preflop chart and his postflop game is above average. He misses some value bets in multiway pots, especially when scare cards fall, but in heads up pots he's able to maintain the aggression a little better. He also misses out on the pot-building value raises. He calls down a little too often when he holds a decent hand because he's afraid of getting bluffed out of the pot. If he 3-bets, he means business. He's one of those 1.5 BB/100 almost-TAGs that can beat the game, but can't crush it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am this vilain!!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Well I have only been playing limit since Thursday!

1. I have got Aces or kings and am real pissed that they have just gone down the can again! As I am this vilain in truth I am re-raising this pre-flop with TT JJ QQ KK AA AK AQs and AJs and KQs if your raising over 10% of your hands.

As I bet the flop and turn here I could still have any of the above hands, apart from QQ of course.

2. Now you should raise the turn as I might think you are making a play on me and am calling down anyway. If I mark you as a bit laggy I will 3 bet you but in all likelyhood you are still good against my range. If I have AK I am always just calling and plan to check/fold the river if you are straight-forward and I miss my straight. But might check/call if I think you are making a move. I always want to showdown Aces and kings here and will call the river unless the last card puts me clearly dead to anything you have. If I had bet out on the turn with TT I fold to your raise. AQ and JJ I will 3 bet.

3. Covered above

4. Cap pre-flop with our KQ hand as there is enough dead money in to make it +EV and if the vilain (me) is wary of the cap he might well check to you and you can take a free card if you want to. As the vilain even I have AA I might check to you hoping to get a check-raise in to push the limpers out. I am now really pissed if you check as well. Not that you would check with the above flop of course.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM

The flop call is OK. I think raising is good too and is what I probably do most times. You will get more money from the limper and possible get a chance to further define SB's hand. It basically makes the hand much easier to play on the expensive streets.

On the turn obviously you're in a good spot. He only beats you with QQ as AQ is an unlikely 3 bet hand from the blinds. This is where a flop raise might have helped with your reads though. Assuming we'r ahead though how to proceed on the turn really depends on what hands you think he can fold if you raise. If he has a hard time letting go off most of the hands he could reasonable have here I raise the turn and win an extra bet off him. If not I just call and hope he leads the river and I'll raise him there or bet when checked to.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn obviously you're in a good spot. He only beats you with QQ ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if he had QQ that would put five queens in play and I would be getting a little paranoid at that point.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if he had QQ that would put five queens in play and I would be getting a little paranoid at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reminder that I need to refill my Rx!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

online poker is rigged, or didn't you know [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]