Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Re: 50/100 Boat??

Sisyphus had a good point. Villain is pretty much betting that you don't have the Q. And I think he is pretty sure that you don't have the queen because you wouldn't have bet the pot on the flop with the queen, nor if you had pocket 6s and flopped a boat. He has you on pair or AK/AJ. Yes, the cold call on the flop is slightly suspicious, enough for you to check the turn, and that is why he is probably bluffing.

He also knows that with that bet on the river, you need a very strong hand to call, either the Q, 66, and MAYBE aces or kings. he knows that you don't have 66, so if he does have the queen, he is praying that you have aces or kings because those are the only hands that will pay him off. And even then it's still a maybe. It just doesn't fit.

I really don't think he had the queen. And I don't think he was "valuebetting" as someone suggestted with 77-10s, because you wouldn't call $6,000 praying that you both play the board.

From the bet on the river, he could've had any 2, because remember, he really is betting that you don't have the queen. But since we have to assign him some strength because he did call the flop, I'd say that it was a pair but too small to play and that the only way he knew he could win was by pushing, so I think he had 22-55. So it is he who is playing the board, knowing that he can only win if you fold. And with a bet that big (twice the size of the pot) he knows that unless you have the q , 66, kk, or aa, you will fold. What do you guys think of this assessment?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:04 PM

Default nt

nevermind
Old 10-08-2005, 12:18 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

"because you wouldn't have bet the pot on the flop with the queen, nor if you had pocket 6s and flopped a boat"

be careful with this assumption. against an aggro player or any player when shorthanded, they can think you are on a blind stealing escapade, especially considering your last few orbits of play. 2-3/10 times i will bet the pot with a queen here, especially cause of the flush draw.

the 6 on the turn is one of the very viable cards i gave him. to which i was behind, that was my decision on the river did his 6 get counterfeited, missed flush draw, does he have the lady. whether it be wrong or right. without that 6 on turn, i would have fired again. his range of hands are too broad to take a stab at. this game four handed, you see everything and anything at any given time.

my gut told me to fold in this spot, but it was a fun and interesting hand, dont get that too much anymore [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Interesting points. I do understand that shorthanded and at this level that he could have a bunch of different hands and that it gets very tricky. And there's no arguing with your gut. But does my argument make sense, that there's a good chance that he did this with 22-66, knowing he could only win if you fold? And would he really play the queen this way, knowing that you will probably only call with 66 or maybe aa,kk? Pot odds perspective, you're paying 6k to win 9k. So you only have to be right 40% of the time.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:31 PM

[quoteit ...dont get that too much anymore [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you say that?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am the guy some of these guys like to call Dave the Knife

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO! Dave the Knife!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
amulet,

Thank you for the detailed response. I am sure we know each other. Please PM me and we can figure out who we each are. I regularly play in the first two games and have twice played in the country club game. I think I won too much in that SD game, because I have not been invited back for quite some time. I am sure we know each other. I am the guy some of these guys like to call Dave the Knife, perhaps that rings a bell?

Anyway, I'm curious. Having played for these stakes, how hard do you find it to maintain your focus and concentration when multi-tabling 16 low limit tables? Do you often find yourself just screwing around a lot because the money is meaningless to you at those stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have another question that you may or may not want to answer.

amulet has always been a great poster in my mind but he is always promoting tighter play than i, and many others whose play i respect, see as optimal.

i think i now see a correlation between this and the games he mentions you both play in.

question:

1) do the players in these high limit games notice/care if you play too tight? if you dont get in there an mix it up, do they still give you the same action? do you (or amulet as well, feel free to chime in) work on an action giving image if you play tight (el d, im sur eyou play looser than amulet if posts are a dictator by a good margin but i'll put it out there anyways as a qeustion)?

so is it possible to be "too tight"? if not, then im sure amulet absoultely murders these games and gives nothing away when behind.

2) when leaving at the end of the nights in these games with large amounts of other people's cash and cihps on a regular basis, is there any regret/hatred or do these very rich moguls play no tears and stay on a cordial/friendly basis with you.

3) finally, w/ all these NL games, do these high limit players play just holdem?? 2-7TD nl? lowball? 7studHL? O8? any mixed games at these limits or is it just nl holdem?

these are probably some of the best games int he country though so congrats on your invitations and ability to play in them.

take care el d, and id appreciate any thoughts ont he above.

Barron
Old 10-08-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these are probably some of the best games int he country

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't even find a game around boston bigger than 2/4NL. Where the eff do you people find these games?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
these are probably some of the best games int he country

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't even find a game around boston bigger than 2/4NL. Where the eff do you people find these games?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, they are in hollywood and both have access to the top of the entertainment industry. my questions have nothing to do with how or why thery are in the games.

Barron
Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 PM

younger brother, but ty flawless.