Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Live 2/5 NL flopped set, line check

Live 2/5 NL 200 max buy. All stacks are between $150 - $200. Literally the first hand dealt at the table. There were 10 names on the list and they formed a new table. I only recognize one other player at the table who is a certifiable maniac. No reads on anyone else.

One limper in front of me and I get 6-6 in MP. I call the BB. Maniac limps, CO limps, button limps, SB completes and BB knocks.

Flop ($35): A - 6 - 9 (rainbow)

Checked to me. I bet $15. (??)
Maniac raises to $35.
CO calls $35.
Folds back to me. I raise to $135 (??).
Maniac insta-folds.
CO calls all-in for $10 more.

CO shows A-7 for top pair no kicker. MHIG.

Now for the question. I was talking over the hand with a buddy whose opinion I respect, he suggested just calling the raise to induce a second barrel bluff on the turn from the maniac. Did I leave money on the table by raising in that spot or was it worth it to gamble that the gutshot straight wouldn't complete on the turn and go in for a C/R there?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Live 2/5 NL flopped set, line check

Well your $15 made you $70, and the all in got you another 135 for 205 total over 10-1 not bad. The allin bet is a big overbet, but I think it depends, if you think a raising war will start fire the first bullet and keep firing. But calling and checking the turn is cool, just realize if he doesn't bet the turn and sees the river and doesn't catch a card, he may just fold.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 AM

The way the hand played out surprised me. I thought the maniac would come back over the top, which was what I wanted. I didn't really consider just calling the flop raise in the moment, but it might be a good line when there are two others who seem to like their hand. The CO was a donk who was gonna go broke anyway. I really wanted the maniacs stack too. I think I may have missed out.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 AM

just push instead of a smaller reraise.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM

I make a PSB or overbet here ($35 to $50) on the flop when it's checked to me with a maniac to my left. Then when the maniac makes his mini-raise to "scare me" he has commited half+ of his stack and is much more like to get it AI on the turn or call a 3 bet.