Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Help with liquor for poker room

Good for your wife! If they are for decorations only, you want them to be nice decorations. By saying nice, I am referring to top-shelf (more expensive) liquors. Yeah it may suck spending the money but it will be very presentable. I am an avid (not alcoholic) liquor drinker...not much beer. So, here are my two cents....

Bombay Saphire Gin
Crown Royal
Jack D. and Jim B.
Grey Goose Vodka
Belvedere Vodka
Absolute Vodka- They have multiple flavors with different colors on the bottle. One good idea is to empty the vodka out of the bottle and fill it with water. Then, take the tip out of a new highlighter that matches the color on the bottle and put it in the water. Let it sit, and over time the water will turn the color of the highlighter. For a final touch, put a light behind the bottle and they glow! Pretty!
Parrot Bay Rum (cool bottle)
1800 tequilla

Hope these help!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Help with liquor for poker room

[ QUOTE ]
I am referring to top-shelf (more expensive) liquors. Yeah it may suck spending the money but it will be very presentable. I am an avid (not alcoholic) liquor drinker...not much beer. So, here are my two cents....

Bombay Saphire Gin
Crown Royal
Jack D. and Jim B.
Grey Goose Vodka
Belvedere Vodka
Absolute Vodka- They have multiple flavors with different colors on the bottle. One good idea is to empty the vodka out of the bottle and fill it with water. Then, take the tip out of a new highlighter that matches the color on the bottle and put it in the water. Let it sit, and over time the water will turn the color of the highlighter. For a final touch, put a light behind the bottle and they glow! Pretty!
Parrot Bay Rum (cool bottle)
1800 tequilla

[/ QUOTE ]

(bump to slightly more expensive)

Aside from Sapphire, I disagree with every single recommendation. (I apologize, I truly don't mean to be obnoxious, but I'm not sober enough to be nice and I've spent enough time with the booze to be opinionated.)

If you want blended whisky, get Johnny Black. But don't get blended whisky. Get a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon, and search the forum for scotch recommendations.

Jack D. is overpriced (marketing), and Jim B is bad. Buy Knob Creek. Some may tell you to buy Maker's Mark, that'd be fine but I think it's not as good. If you're going to buy a 1.75L MM is fine, as it gets cheaper than KC at that level.

Grey Goose - Not bad. I'd buy Vox for the same price, and Mor for less.

Belvedere - Significantly worse than Hangar One, Mor, Vox, Crater Lake etc

Absolut - You're only paying for marketing, this stuff is crap. Buy Fris if you can find it, if you can't then get Finlandia and chill the hell out of it. F's bad warm, and it's fantastic cold. The glowing bottle is, however, a reasonable recommendation.

Parrot Bay - I'm too much of an alcoholic to like this. I'd rather buy a decent cheap rum like Mount Gay, but the girlier audience will like it.

1800 tequila - see augie's thread for my recommendations here.