Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: Call All In with Trips?

[ QUOTE ]
wasn't quoting you... did you read all the responses?

i just clicked the reply button that was nearby. It was the wakeforest guy that i was quoting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know. I was just busting your balls. Seems like a lot of effort to copy the text, reply to someone else, hit/type the UBB code then reply, rather than just hitting the quote button. That's all. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM

yea i guess, i just hate hitting the quote button for big posts. then i gotta go and delete out what i don't want... it's easier just to copy and paste. atleast for me.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:07 PM

I beat the villain into the pot with trip 4s on this board.
You played your hand, you hit your hand. The board is a mess. Collect your money or go home.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:52 PM

Well, it ended with me calling and the guy showing me 6h3h for a straight. The river was T, so no quads/fh. I know the flop play was questionable, but I figured that there was a good chance that this board missed everybody. Had the 4 not come, we both probably would have checked it down. I wish that I could say that I had thought the hand through as well before I called as after. I basically saw a totally crap flop/turn, and a set in my hand. Ah well, I'd probably do the same next time. Thanks for the help.

Will
Old 09-19-2005, 11:17 PM

I can almost answer this question without looking at the hand. You can probably fold on a 3-card SF flop, but apart from that, if you NEVER fold trips your play won't be far from optimal.

Even if he has a made straight or flush, you have 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river to win, giving you roughly 2/1 odds to fill up. That means you're almost right to call even if you KNOW he has a straight. (Edit: misread the pot size -- you're not getting anywhere near 2/1 here, but the point remains the same.)

No way you can lay this one down.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:49 AM

I don't have a problem with the way you played the flop. If I think I have the best hand and there are draws on the board, I'll hammer them, although 4s are so vulnerable, a half-pot bet to see where you stand is not a bad move. In fact, with that board, if you're planning on continuing with the hand (i.e., you read weakness and will call a bet), I don't see how you can NOT bet the flop.

The alternative is giving your opponents an opportunity to take the pot with a bet or a free card on a board with a lot of draws. Check-fold is the only other option, and with four possible players, that's also not a bad way to go with pocket 4s. I'm not a fan of the check-call in this situation.

However, the villain's call was incorrect. The pot wasn't offering sufficient odds to draw to an inside straight. And not calling when you hit your set is NOT an option, in my mind.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with the way you played the flop. If I think I have the best hand and there are draws on the board, I'll hammer them, although 4s are so vulnerable, a half-pot bet to see where you stand is not a bad move. In fact, with that board, if you're planning on continuing with the hand (i.e., you read weakness and will call a bet), I don't see how you can NOT bet the flop.

The alternative is giving your opponents an opportunity to take the pot with a bet or a free card on a board with a lot of draws. Check-fold is the only other option, and with four possible players, that's also not a bad way to go with pocket 4s. I'm not a fan of the check-call in this situation.

However, the villain's call was incorrect. The pot wasn't offering sufficient odds to draw to an inside straight. And not calling when you hit your set is NOT an option, in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a problem with check/folding the flop, it would be my standard line in this situation because of basically what happened. Without being too results oriented, I would look at this situation as a trap. I'm drawing to a runner runner gutshot, or even if I make a set there's no way I'd feel confident with the resulting board, and I don't really want to be in the situation of where I know someone has a straight and I'm praying to boat up on the river.

One thing I'll admit I definatly wouldn't notice is that since I have black 4s I'm not worried about flushes with my set. But yeah, with your position, I hate a flop bet and I think it only commits you to what happened. It would be different if you were last to act, but you still have two people to act after you. I wouldn't bet here, blinds or someone could have easily made top two.