Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Default 600NL Kings new line....forced out like a little girl?

Been doing my best lately to keep pots small with big pairs. (NB I raise a wide range of hands in EP). Both hero and villian have about 600, have been at the table for about 50 hands, nothing spectacular so far.

Hero is UTG+1 opens for $24 (standard) with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
All fold to button who calls, blinds fold.

Flop comes: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot = $57)

Hero checks, villian bets $40, Hero calls.

Turn comes: 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (pot = $137)

Hero checks, villian bets $80, Hero calls $80

River comes: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (pot = $297)

Hero checks, villian bets $250, Hero folds.

Comments on all streets much appreciated.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 600NL Kings new line....forced out like a little girl?

Why not lead the flop?

Given you didn't, I definitely like a lead of this turn, you don't want to give another free card.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Well I've recently been experimenting with minimising the money going in on the flop heads up with an overpair. The thinking is, yes the extra card could improve him, but the times it does and the money I lose on turn/river will be less than the money I lose against a flopped monster. Also I raise suited connectors EP and its tough for people to tell if i'm drawing or playing an overpair. I checked the turn becuase now it looks like I have a draw of some kind, and then I can 'bluff' the river on a blank and he'll call with a wide range of hands. But I didnt see how anyone would call with a worse hand or bluff with this river, so I check-folded.

Thats why I took this strange line. I think leading the turn is probably safer as you say tho.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:59 PM

i understand what you're saying about keeping the pot small, but i really don't think this is a good line to take. if you check call the flop then you definately need to lead the turn. by check calling the turn i think that shows too much weakness and not only gives villian a chance to outdraw on you but i feel like it sets him up to make a play on you. as a result of not knowing where you are in the hand or feeling confident that villian isnt making a play on you, i don't see how this line could be +EV in the long run. but maybe im missing something? if so, what?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:20 PM

villian bets $40 on flop(pot $97)

1. i don't like the call on the flop. i would check-raise on the flop to $87 (pot $184) instead of check-call.
if villian then calls the extra $47...(pot $231)
2. i lead out and bet $230 on the turn. the pot is now starting to represent a large portion of your stack and it does'nt pay to react meekly/[cheaply]--unless you already have the nuts [ which you don't ]-- and give close to free cards by check-calling.

thing is, villian bets close to 3/4 the pot on the flop and you just called (IMO, a sign of weakness). he bets even less than 3/4 (75%) the pot on the turn (bet $80 into a $137 pot which is a little less than 60%) and you just called (IMO, another sign of weakness and one that clearly shows a checkraise on the flop would have been in order). you already know that the goal is to win the maximum with your best hands and lose the less with the ones that are not. i believe you HAD the best hand [not the nut hand] that you could've won the maximum amount with BY the turn until you took the check-call line all the way to the river and ended in a situation where you're now [possibly] losing the maximum with the worst hand.