Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Looking for some intermediate advice

[ QUOTE ]
It turned into 7 straight days of decent profit. In the past 4 days, I have just gotten hosed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You ran good for 7 straight days? And complaining? I routinely start a session by going 100-250 hands without a win. Happens about every 3rd one. That means I'm sitting at a table where, on average, I should win 1 out of every 6 or 8 hands and go 250 straight with 0. I start a session with the deck hitting me in the face about every 10 sessions. Half of those times there's no money in the pot and I'm dragging ante's with rolled up A's. I've never run good for more than 2 sessions ever, and I mean ever. Cue the violins and pass the tissues.

Having said that, stud is way more of a suckout game than holdem and has more variance. The number typically thrown around is 300 BB's to play a limit comfortably. I think that's low for stud. I routinely go 4 sessions in a row dropping 25-50 BB's. Ran good for 7 sessions in a row? You're lucky.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I routinely start a session by going 100-250 hands without a win. Happens about every 3rd one.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first time at a 3/6 table, I lost 97 hands in a row. I still wince at it. 250 hands? Regularly? Surely, you can't be serious???

[ QUOTE ]
I should win 1 out of every 6 or 8 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm winning at that rate, I am doing great. Typical is 1 out of 10.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first time at a 3/6 table, I lost 97 hands in a row. I still wince at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise at the $2/$4 table a few months back that sent me back to the $1/$2 games for a couple months.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM

I play a lot of 6 max stud. In the last 5 days I've had two runs where I started the session losing 150 and 250 hands with no wins. It's nothing new and not bad when you're card dead and folding, but it drives you nuts when you're getting cracked left and right.

1 out of 10 sounds reasonable. My avg winning % is 4% per session. Running bad is 0%, running good is 7%. So out of 200 hands, 4% is 8. That's winning on avg 1 out of every 25. The suckouts in stud drive me nuts. The amount of times you're run down by hands like a smaller pair chasing a bigger one is mind boggling. Makes me wonder where they get these win % numbers from with AA vs 55. It aint from playing on Party.