Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Taking a break from Poker, what to do with Money?

Hello 2+2 community,

First off, please respond with mature answers only. I know there are a lot of Jesus-haters and mockers on this forum, and I'd really appreciate it if you would not post anything of that nature here and only something useful.

So, for the past half year to year, I've been playing poker online underaged. I didn't really have any problem with playing illegally until about yesterday, when I decided to stop because of my faith in Jesus Christ and the God of the Bible, and felt it was just wrong if I continued to break the law.

Anyways, I have about $7500 online, which I could cashout through my friends if I wanted to. I was originally going to leave it there and wait till my 18th birthday (March 14th) to resume playing. But now, I'm wondering if there are any alternatives I can do that will let me make use of the money while I am on my hiatus. I'm too young to play the stock market or participate in sports betting, so is there anything else I can do?

For Christians: Do you consider this money tainted? It was earned while I was breaking the law. If so, what should be done?

Thank you for any help!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker, what to do with Money?

First, a question...Why is poker any more or less incompatible with Christianity than sports betting? Is it just the legality issue? It is not unusual for moral things to be illegal and I know that a lot of Christians think that a lot of things that are legal are immoral.

If you feel the money is tainted, then this is an easy call. Give it to a well managed charity.

Here's a link
Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 PM

Well yeah, it's the legality issue. If I were to participate in sports betting, I would only do so if I was well-prepared in it and studied it rigorously like I do with poker. If I find it's not +EV for me, then I wouldn't do it. But yeah, it's basically the legal issue right now.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 PM

a close family friend of mine recently died of leukemia, i have been donating to the leukemia and lymphoma society for the past 3 years, its a pretty good charity, maybe give some to them?

rj
Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Government law and religous law are two different things. With religion it is generally right or wrong with no regard to age.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM

If you really feel that it is ill gotten, then donate it to a church or gambling program. You'll feel better.

There is nothing in the book about gambling. If you feel breaking the law is wrong, perhaps you need to stop driving if you are speeding (turn yourself in and see what the cops say,) etc.

Or take a trip to vegas.

wait, i reread your post and realized that what you are saying makes no sense. you cite your religious beliefs as being the reason you wont do it, but once you turn 21 you will? you should separate religious law from US law on this one. religious law doesnt hinge on current US laws. i dont understand the problem...

rj

Well, I'm pretty sure (but not certai) that the Bible does not say anything about gambling as a sin. I know somebody on this forum that is a very devout Christian, and also very enthusiastic about poker about the same time, so I'll have to ask him and read the Bible more.

Also, the Bible does state that it is wrong to break the law. I can't find the specific verse, but I definately know it's in there.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:58 PM

The money is fine.

Gambling is fine.

Breaking the law isn't.

Jesus said to obey man's law. So you need to wait until you are 18.

Just my views on things.

As far as the money.... Ing direct is a good place to save it until you can invest it. If you want something buy it, but manage your money smart.

-SFWUSC
Old 06-01-2005, 06:59 PM

I also know of a very good charity that accepts neteller/paypal. I can give you their information.