Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Oh, those annoying reraises!

1. His all-in isn't that big, so call. If the stacks are anywhere near equal I probably fold
2. Easy call. He can be reraising here with any pair or AT.
3. Tough one, but if you folded the JJ hand to him it's a call.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you may be right, but if i have a T30000 stack, and he has T10000, i don't want to end the hand tied with him in case you aren't. myself, if i were BB, i would not make the all-in move with anything that loses to JJ (other than AK) unless i think he is stealing. in which case, i would do it with lots of hands. maybe folding to the all-in makes me weak, but right now, i've got 100xBB and i'd like to get my money in in a bit better spot.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

In hand 1, I am the SB, I'm not sure if you caught that. I didn't quite follow your advice.

For hand 3, as far as what you would do in the BB, I am with you, but you put your finger on it when you said "unless I think he is stealing." I'm open-raising from CO, aren't a lot of players going to put me on a steal?

Maybe I overrate the likelihood of someone playing back at a LP raiser, which in turn causes me to call too many of these reraises. But when you're in the blind and someone raises from CO or button, isn't your first thought likely to be, there's some [censored] trying to steal my blinds?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In hand 1, I am the SB, I'm not sure if you caught that. I didn't quite follow your advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right. i didn't catch that you were SB here.

at any rate, when you raise 3xBB here, BB may put you on a steal. if he does, he will come over the top all-in with mediocre hands like KQ or A 10, figuring he has some folding equity. had you raised half his stack, he may lay down a better hand than your A-9, as he will only come over the top with a premium hand knowing that you MUST call because of pot odds.

at any rate, i still think you need to call him here.

cheers!
Old 07-29-2004, 05:27 PM

another vote for call,call, fold...although, in generlal, I wouldn't try to steal with A-9. I would rather try to steal with rags on a total bluff, so I can just lay it down if this happens.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:35 PM

Fair enough, but if I have A9 heads-up, am I really stealing? How would you play it?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 PM

I call the first one for sure. The second one I call unless I have a read that this player would only do this with JJ-AA or AK. Third one I normally fold unless I have a read that this player will play back with alot of hands.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough, but if I have A9 heads-up, am I really stealing? How would you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Actually, since *he* has less than 10x the BB lef,t I might just put him in preflop, so he doesn't think I can be pushed off it. I probably have the best hand. If I'm wrong, so be it, but there aren't any other players to worry about now.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:52 PM

hand #1. I think you should have put him all in preflop instead of raising to 3BB if he's such a short stack.

hand #2. Easy call

Hand #3. Reluctantly fold.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:04 PM

1. Fold.

Edit: Maybe this isn't as clear a fold as I initially thought but I think we need more information than that the call was laying 3-1. What are the blinds and where in the tournament are you for these situations? I believe it's not always good idea to call in marginal situations getting good odds, because the chips you save are chips you will want to double up with at some point in the tournament. The consensus seems to be that pushing allin is the best move, but it depends on what the blinds/stacks are. Calling is probably preferrable if it's in the early levels.

2. Call.

3. Tough one, depends on where you are in the tournament. Probably fold.

In the $109 rebuy the other day with 10 or 11 players left, I had recently acquired a big stack. I made a standard raise on the button with AJ. Dud711 called in the BB. Flop was ace high. He bet I think I went allin or made a healthy raise and he folded. We had equal stacks when I got the button again with JJ, same raise. This time he goes allin.

This was a fairly easy fold, but not automatic, since I was a virtual lock for the final table (one player was actually sitting out ?! at the other table) barring any disasters. In the case where an oppponent has 1/3rd your chips and is making a play based on the perception that you are stealing, JJ is probably too good to fold.

Shane
Old 07-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Default Oh, the results!

I called in all 3 hands. Told you I had a leak!

1: He had JJ. Can't feel bad about my call given the odds. I think the people who recommended a larger raise had it right, though. Anyway, I flop an ace and win.

2: He had KK, oh well.

3: This one was the diciest mainly because there was no logic behind it. My thinking at the time was, the same guy just CAN'T have 2 big hands against me, which of course makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway, he had AA, game over.

Thanks for the comments, everyone, they were very helpful.