Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 03-22-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Whoops! Caught basting a position bettor.

This table had turned tight. I nabbed an obvious position bettor, but was nabbed myself. I think my big mistake was betting the turn. Anyone else?

Anyone think my flop raise was goofy? I liked it since I felt I could pick up the pot enough right then with the given action.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: BigEndian is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BigEndian checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BigEndian checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BigEndian raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BigEndian folds.

- Jim
Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Whoops! Caught basting a position bettor.

Did you have a read on the MP that suggested he/she might fold to your c/r?

I think a check and fold on the turn was called for with A7o and a MP1 probably holding J9 or possibly JJ.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:07 AM

You failed to follow through your plans when you didn't three bet the river. Surely he wasn't calling that.

Of course I am being a bit sarcastic, and I think I see what you were trying to do, but I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, I love the abudulian bank-shot, but at party it seems like people hang on for dear life when they catch any piece of the flop. I'm shocked the two people behind you droped.

-Huh

Old 03-23-2004, 12:07 AM

Hi fellow Atlantan, I felt this flop was ragy enough and the action checked through them pretty quickly. My read on them is either a set or a flush by the turn, with the flush being the strong likelyhood. There are't enough players to slowplay a set and they would have bet any pair for the same reason.

- Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 12:09 AM

I struggle with this sort of thing sometimes too. Sometimes my read is such that I know or think I know someone is full of it, but, I just don't have the hand to do anything about it. It can be frustrating, but, I make that sort of raise sometimes.

In your example, I think it's harder with a flush board. Another thing is deciding up front whether you are going to follow up or not if the 3rd club comes. Sometimes I don't think it through. If you raise with the 2clubs I think you have to believe he doesn't have clubs, and if that's your plan then you have to bet into him on the turn and call him down. OTOH I often wonder if I have to put someone on specific cards first before making that play or not. Usually I see some crap like J6o when I try that. I don't think it's +EV longterm and it's sort of instant gratification. IE trying to win pots not money. But I suffer the same sort of combativeness.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You failed to follow through your plans when you didn't three bet the river. Surely he wasn't calling that.

Of course I am being a bit sarcastic, and I think I see what you were trying to do, but I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, I love the abudulian bank-shot, but at party it seems like people hang on for dear life when they catch any piece of the flop. I'm shocked the two people behind you droped.

-Huh

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see the river action, where are you looking? THX
Old 03-23-2004, 12:15 AM

Default EXAMPLE

Here's me doing the same sort of thing. This is the same guy I posted my other hand about which happened later on. I know he's loose-aggressive and I keep trying to catch and punish him. I guess he's got clubs and betting out into a weak flop trying to pick it up, so I push my hand hard on the flop and he 3bets. I call him down only to be find out yeah he had 2 clubs, but, I'm behind the whole way. I eventually got his whole stack but it took me longer than it should have, about 150 hands. Still that's not bad on the BB/100 scale but this was just boneheaded.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (8.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad 4s (two pair, tens and fours).
SB shows 5c Tc (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: SB wins 8.50 BB. </font>
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: EXAMPLE

I see how they're similar, but popping a non-aggresive position bettor is a bit different. With a LAG, you are going to cost yourself a lot of checks if you go head to head.

In my hand, it's pretty much a win on the flop or you go away.

- Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (4 SB)

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot was tiny. The risk versus reward here just doesn't justify trying to win the pot. Let it go. It's a fine play to try if the pot is twice as big, because then it won't have to work all that often to be profitable. But here you're basically making nothing. You ended up coughing up 4 SB for this 5 SB pot, only to lose.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 AM

The 3-flush could be a good card for you against an opponent who plays poorly. I'd hate checking the turn for table image reasons, unless you know MP1 to be very solid.