Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Ideas for revenge on a bank?

A couple years ago, with a little less than $200 in my account, I wrote a series of checks and made ATM charges like: $10, $10, $30, $30, then the next day: $200. Of course, they make the actual charges in reverse order and charge me $120 (4x $30) in overdraft charges. I called them and tried to reason with them... $120 to borrow me $80 for one day (I had the money in my savings account) is ridiculous... they wouldn't budge.. I have never been so pissed over the phone. I was making $13 an hour at the time... 9 hours of work for that... horse sh-t

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, my mom (who uses the same bank) is out of state and goes to a branch of this bank to deposit some money. She has a checking account at a different bank in our home town that has no ATM card, so she frequently writes checks to herself from the local bank to the evil bank. She has done this multiple times and the money was instantly available to her. She deposits $5k and everything seems to be normal, but a couple hours later, checking out at a grocery store, her ATM card is declined. She calls the bank and there is a 10 day (!) hold on her check. They never told her there would be a hold at the bank.. just let her drive off and attempt to go shopping. The next day she goes to the bank to try to work out what the problem is (remember, she is out of state with almost no money), they tell her they CAN'T TELL HER why they are now holding her checks, and they refuse to work with her in any way to get her at least some money. So that day my mom is forced to call her friends and family and ask to borrow money for the trip.

So that's the story of why I hate this bank. I want to get revenge, and OOT seems to always come up with good lines on these types of things.

The optimal prank would:
1. Cost them lots of money
2. Affect the non-grunt workers (if I drop a deuce in the lobby, it will just screw the janitor)
3. Allow me to take full credit for it (like they KNOW it was me, but can't do anything about it)
Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Ideas for revenge on a bank?

You could hold them up. Let me know and I'll come watch, then post a vivid play by play for OOT. Diablo will stop by with Chuck Norris and save the day.

c'est fini
Old 12-07-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple years ago, with a little less than $200 in my account, I wrote a series of checks and made ATM charges like: $10, $10, $30, $30, then the next day: $200. Of course, they make the actual charges in reverse order and charge me $120 (4x $30) in overdraft charges. I called them and tried to reason with them... $120 to borrow me $80 for one day (I had the money in my savings account) is ridiculous... they wouldn't budge.. I have never been so pissed over the phone. I was making $13 an hour at the time... 9 hours of work for that... horse sh-t

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, all banks do this. The rationale is that the larger checks are generally people's rent, car payments or other essential things so they are most important and should be processed first.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 PM

First of all, it sounds like your family needs to stop screwing around with your account balances. Just keep a buffer of (at least) a few hundred in there at all times, no exceptions and you won't have to worry about overdrafts.

Second, I'd avoid pulling any kind of prank on a national financial institution. These [censored] don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to their money.

Swede
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM

I am very interested in this thread.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Its called overdraft protection. Get a CC through the bank, and it will ususally automatically link. The only way to get back at a bank is to close your account.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 PM

there is a tv show on the BBC called Hustle. it is about british con artists. there is one good one where they screw over a bank.

wait one, and i'll get you the episode.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its called overdraft protection. Get a CC through the bank, and it will ususally automatically link. The only way to get back at a bank is to close your account.

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 12-07-2005, 07:08 PM

do they have fraud protection? you know where i'm going with this
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM

Do you have free checks or billpay?

Send tons of 1 cent payments to someone else (or another one of your accounts)!