Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-22-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Don’t wanna tango with you, I’d rather tangle with him.

depsite all your preflop (over)thinking, it's close between a call, a raise, and even a fold preflop.

as for the flop/turn: you misplay to the tune of one small bet. when you have a fish out of position willing to 3 bet that flop once it gets heads up you need to almost always wait for the turn with your set. you will raise him then and he will call you down so you gain a easy, but significant small bet. key to all of this is the fact that bb is a fish. so he will misplay his hand and not make a laydown.

one more thing: fish tend to scare a bit easier (but again not to the point of laydown) when you pound with flop bets so it wouldnt surprise me if fish would never 5 bet the flop here with his most likely hand (one pair good kicker) and even with some stronger hands that he should 5 bet with like two pair.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:05 PM

I tend to just play it fast here. Fish are smart enough to think that with a set you might slow down and then raise the turn so when they actually have a hand like two pair....they might go crazy on the turn thinking you can't possibly have a set, you know?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have raised preflop. Whether the SB knows your game or not, you almost certainly have the best hand, and you have position. On the flop, a three bet is fine, but when the BB four bets you, you should just call, planning to raise on the turn for another Big Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Results and comments.

I didn't raise pre-flop, becuase I thought there was an excellent chance that both blinds would call and play tough after the flop. I thought the limp would be scarier and was planning on betting any flop if check too...I Think I read this in a book somewhere [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

As far as going five bets on the flop. Well, I guess it's debatable, but I've seen on several occasions where people get stupid-aggessive in these spots. I've seen aggressive fish go as many as nine bets in this spot, so I just decided to step on the gas and see where it takes me. Five was disappointing, but ahh well, I'd probably do it again.

As far as my book and movie deal go, I'm suprised that no one mentioned the reality show that cinemax is going to do based on my life.

Ahhh well.

-Huh
Old 01-23-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Results and comments.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise pre-flop, becuase I thought there was an excellent chance that both blinds would call and play tough after the flop. I thought the limp would be scarier and was planning on betting any flop if check too...I Think I read this in a book somewhere [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
good play. i routinely open-limp on button and auto-bet on flop. it works against certain people.

Kenny
Old 01-23-2004, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to just play it fast here. Fish are smart enough to think that with a set you might slow down and then raise the turn so when they actually have a hand like two pair....they might go crazy on the turn thinking you can't possibly have a set, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]
i would also play fast here. fish or not, turn might bring an over card to J to scare him. with medium-low board, playing set strongly will get you more money most of the time. if A flopped, then the story is somewhat different.

Kenny
Old 01-23-2004, 04:34 PM

I think that the clear play (which we all seem to be agreeing on) is that after you 3-bet and he 4-bets, he is extremely likely to lead out on the turn, at which point you raise him again, if he plays back at you, you probably have to slow down and just call him, which is fine if you end up winning. But call the 4th bet on the flop, pop the turn, bet the river.