Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Worst month of poker I\'ve ever had...

This month started out good for me as I moved up to the 100NL perminantly.
I was having a good month, was earning more than I have in any previous month, and then the last two weeks have really killed everything I've done all month.
This is the biggest smack of variance that I have ever had and at this point I just don't know how to deal with it.

I was way over bankrolled coming into this level so that's not a problem. In fact, I am only down less than a buy-in, So money really isn't the issue.

It is just super monkey charged variance.

What do you guys do to keep your head in the right place when Variance makes you it's bitch?

Just curious.
Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Worst month of poker I\'ve ever had...

One buy-in down is your worst ever month?

Poker is a funny game and the higher up you get in NL the more small edges matter and the higher your variance gets..

I've had 22 consecutive winning weeks following on from a 28 buy-in losing streak..gotta just go with the flow bro and make sure you have a good roll for the stakes you play (which it sounds as though you do)
Old 12-31-2005, 08:33 PM

Unfortunately, different things work for different people and for some people nothing works. I suggest you try the psychology forum, honestly. I have yet to really see good advice on this type of topic in this forum. For me, taking a break for a few hours usually works, but sometimes it doesn't. When it is really the worst, I need to force myself to actively attempt to play a minimal variance game. Not pushing small edges, etc. Because losing hands where I had a small edge still contributes to my tiltedness which ends up just costing me more money than folding would have cost me.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:35 PM

I have lost more than 1 buy-in in a given month.
My problem is that I was up big earlier in the month, and two weeks of (mostly) beats and suckouts have taken all of that away.
It ends up being more like a 27k hand break even streach.
Flush over flush and set over Set have been common for me this month.
Ugly things like that.

Here's my graph for reference.

I have never been as frustrated as I have become at the end of this month.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This month started out good for me as I moved up to the 100NL perminantly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd look for the answer to the problem right here. Better players, more plays, more aggression, and more suckouts than ever before. I'd say you are doing very well given you have moved up, played there all month, and are about even. Better results come from further experience in the new arena. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:02 PM

i feel your pain man. my advice is to take a day or 2 off, enjoy the holiday, get drunk, play pool or get some ass. then, play some at the 50s or 25s to regain confidence and remember what it was like to kill a game. good luck.

and as to your worst variance month being a -1 buy in month, i can share that sentiment. in my worst month i was up 3 buy ins at the end (granted i played 30,000 hands). i have had months where i showed a loss, but i think its much more frustrating to be stagnent and helpless...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel your pain man. my advice is to take a day or 2 off, enjoy the holiday, get drunk, play pool or get some ass. then, play some at the 50s or 25s to regain confidence and remember what it was like to kill a game. good luck.

and as to your worst variance month being a -1 buy in month, i can share that sentiment. in my worst month i was up 3 buy ins at the end (granted i played 30,000 hands). i have had months where i showed a loss, but i think its much more frustrating to be stagnent and helpless...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just quoting this because I liked all of it in one form or another haha.
Tonight I was going to be playing in a great home game, but I'm going out to the bars with the woman, Getting smashed, getting laid (if she doesn't get too drunk lol) and enjoying myself.

And, I have lost more than 1 buy-in in a month.
By worst month ever, I meant that I cannot get anywhere.
I can be up a bunch, And then just get smashed over and over and over and end up back at square one.

My biggest example of it this month was sitting at A table with a nice big Moon Cow (that's what my roomie likes to call the donators) and he sucked out on me two times in a row for a buy-in each. So I buy back in, intending on getting all of his money. 1 hour later I'm sitting there with 450 bucks, and the donator is buying back in (lost over 700 in under 200 hands).
I get dealt pocket 2's and am in a raised pot with the Donator and one other guy.
Flop coems Q82. I hit my set, Great.
Donator bets, 3rd party guy raises, I call and Donator folds.
Turn is a random card. 3rd party guy bets, I raise, We end up all in. (3rd party guy had 250ish at the start of this hand).
River is an Ace, he turns over pocket aces and my day is once again ruined.

No matter what I do, I don't end up anywhere.
It has been frustrating.