Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Stars VIP + Turbos vs Party sngs

[ QUOTE ]
* On stars there is a huge gap bewteen early blind levels and late ones. I.e you have 10/20 blinds and 1500 chips vs 800 and 10/15.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just one extra level. Heck, you could probably sit it out without significantly affecting your results if you wanted to. The second level at Stars (15/30 @ 1500) is roughly equivalent to the first level at Party. Just go from there. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't see how the games can be that different. Get bubble play down to a science, and I'm sure you'll be a big winner at either site.

[ QUOTE ]
* People seem to spite call more on the bubble on Stars

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's frustrating, but theoretically, the spite callers are making mistakes. Learn to make those mistakes help you. Maybe it means playing a tad tighter at Stars, and letting your opponents get spite called. Maybe it means taking better notes at Stars and learning who the spite callers are. While it seems monstrous at times, the players pool is finite. Study your opponents. Play poker and adjust.

[ QUOTE ]
* The stars blinds seem to increase alot more late on, whereas Party has a more gradual increase

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds do get astronomical at times on Stars, I'll give you that. Games routinely reach the 400/800 blind level at Stars. Probably a third of them. Unless your stacks are almost exactly even heads up, it's probably close to optimal to go all-in and call all-in every time with blinds this large. Learn to live with heads up being a 50-50 proposition (your real money comes from the bubble anyway). Occasionally you'll run into a super-passive opponent that you can run over at these blind levels.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 PM

I agree with you that the games should be very similar but i have not had good results at the Stars turbos. I have played about 300 $27 there and i am down quite a bit. Now maybe it is variance but i seem to suck at them.

So there must be some difference i just cannot figure out exactly what that is.

BTW i sent you a PM (UM Terp)
Old 12-27-2005, 10:43 PM

Thinking about it, some of it might be a comfort zone thing. On party i know exactly when to push etc, i have yet to figure that out on Stars. So i suppose it might be as simple as adjusting back. I am sure i had the same problems orignally when i moved from Stars to Party.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about it, some of it might be a comfort zone thing. On party i know exactly when to push etc, i have yet to figure that out on Stars. So i suppose it might be as simple as adjusting back. I am sure i had the same problems orignally when i moved from Stars to Party.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found the games much quicker (busy screen, things happening, cards flying, etc.) at PP when I tried them earlier this month. But, I also started off on a heater. Maybe some of your results are due to an adjustment, but I think more likely just normal variance.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:05 PM

I agree some of it was variance but i am unsure if the entire thing was.

Regardless the games must be beatable i am just going to have to work hard to adjust my game for them. So look foward to numerous hh posts from me for Stars turboes in the new year.