Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Post your best expert play!

I believe, although it's rather subjective, that friendly chat allows you to get away with more moves. I'm talking about online, if I can strike up some banter in the chat window, I don't get my bluffs called down so much. I can't offer a scientific proof this is a genuine effect, it just seems to work.

I guess the thinking goes "Gee whizz* such a nice guy wouldn't bluff me" or "Honkerty doddle dandy* I don't want to upset a guy liked by the whole table"

*If they are American
Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 AM

I use a move frequently that is not very common to literature and forums. That is if I raise preflop with a hand like 75s and get one caller that I have position on and I flop a flushdraw. Then I mostly check behind instead of semi-bluff cont. bet (except against someone who very often folds on the flop). Especially if the flop contains some high cards.

Very often I get good payed of if I hit the flush because villian will think I should had bet a flushdraw. Also if he checks again on the turn I can make a bet there.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 AM

I like to do this too. PArtly because I'm annoyed with the "check-to-the-raiser" trend that seems almost like a rule to some people. So if someone wants to check their TP to me, fine, I take the free card.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:46 AM

That's standard. The counter to this move is something I might look into doing a bit more against a certain type of players (players like myself, for example). Call flop with a monster in position, call or check behind turn, and make a big bet on the river when it's checked to you and draws missed. Villain (if he is like me) calls with ace high, thinking he's going to look awesome again, but he won't=)
Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 AM

I've actually had this happen to me... Guy limps, I raise with AA, he calls. He checkcalls 3/4 on a twoflush flop. He then checks the turn and I bet 2/3 of the pot and he just calls again. The river comes a blank and then he pots it! This was on pokerroom and I have busted so many busted flushes there that I called pretty fast not even raising my eyebrows. I got my cornflakes stuck in my throat when he flipped over a set.

I yelled out ****ing donk at the screen and thought "How can the #¤%#¤% can he checkcall on a twoflushboard with a set when any flushcard will kill his action or have him beat"

Afterwards I couldn't decide if this was a total donk play or if it was a pretty neat move, so I did a little analysis.

(1) Villains doesn't have a read on me and doesn't know I'm a thinking player: He will then win a small to medium sized pot the times the flush comes on the turn or river because AA guy will then slow down and fold to large bets. If the turn or river doesn't bring a flushcard villain will not always be paid off because the other player with AA might not recognize the possibility of a missed FD and he could be scared of the large riverbet (which if most often a good thing).
If he instead had checkraised or bet/bet-threebet the flop most guys are willing to get it allin on the flop with AA or atleast the pot will be big enough to get him potcommitted on the turn.
So against a standard opponent this line is far superior.

(2) Villain has a read on me that I can lay down overpairs and TPTK and he knows I am a thinking player: If villain threebets or checkraises he will often take down the pot against me. I might put my stack in there, but that is not the norm for me. He will then win a small to medium sized pot.
If villain takes the checkcall line a flushcard will counterfit his action 36% of the time and he will only win a small to medium sized pot, and he will in rare cases loose a bigger pot when I have the flush. Also I might check behind on the turn so that his riverbet will be smaller when the river bricks and he bets his set.
But as was the case in the situation I outlined - I "charged" his draw on the turn and called his "missed flusdraw" on the river" - he almost took my stack (I had 1/4-1/3 left). This he could not have accomplished any other way.

Any thoughts on villains line? Does this line have validity against certain opponents or is it too marginal (too many things have to fit together for it to work..) to worry about?