Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Guitar Help: Intermediate Books/Lessons?

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, because I'm a bit lost and all Google turns up is dubious products trying to get me to subscribe and whatnot.

I played guitar for a few years somewhat casually. I haven't played much for the last 2-4 years because I just haven't had time, but I want to start making time. I think I'm at an intermediate level: I can handle the rhythm parts for most Metallica stuff (for example), do an ok job at classical pieces as long as the fingerpicking pattern isn't toooo complicated, can play a good number of the selections in this book, etc. I'm pretty weak when it comes to lead/solo stuff, music theory (although I know a bit there), improv, etc. I think I've got the most basic parts of playing down, but don't know where to go from there.

So I'm looking for recommendations on good intermediate books to teach some of the theory behind leads/solos and improvs, exercises to improve things like speed, and so on. I'm also looking for advice on just what I need to learn next.

I don't think I really want to pay for private lessons at this point, although I took them when I first started.

Any help is appreciated, and sorry for no hot chick, since I'm at work.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Guitar Help: Intermediate Books/Lessons?

kinda at the same place as you.

f books and lessons. online guitar tabs are best.

"blackbird" is rated one of the hardest fingerpicking songs, but I really don't think so, and it's very satisfying once you learn it. "wonderwall" easy strumming/fun to sing along to. "crash" to make the girls panties wet. "under the bridge" if you really want to be challenged.

Hope this helps. Any new songs for me to learn?

oh yeah and if you're not familiar with this one site called "google," www.guitartabs.cc
Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 AM

It's really pretty hard to get good without some kind of lessons. I took lessons for about a year and although I had taught myself a lot before and have taught myself a lot since, I never would have been able to grow the way I have without them.

That said, I think that you would do best to look for a book on general music theory rather than one on intermediate guitar play if you really want to advance.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 AM

For help specifically on leads/soloing, you do need to know a decent amount about music theory (or have a really good ear)...but the most basic thing you need to know is scales. I need to be able to tell you what key the song is in and you be able to play individual notes in that key in several different registers on the guitar. Then you run those scales backwards and forwards over and over again, working on improving your speed and dexterity. Then you just get to a point where you can start throwing different wrinkles into those scales (instead of just going up and down) that start to sound like solos. Then you start to work on things like bends and multi-string slides...things that give your leads character and feel, rather than just being individual notes. For these later things, you'll either be good enough to grasp them on your own or you'll need someone to show you the techniques involved.

But for the earlier things you ought to be able to buy a good book for guitar scales and practice your ass off 'til the point that you're good at basic, melodic, Noel Gallagher style soloing.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:48 AM

This is probably witnit, and you sound way beyond it, but do you know your blues scales?

They work as a solid basis for rock/blues lead guitar.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 AM

Work your way through the Elementary Rudiments of Music.
Then download Guitar Pro, and start getting GP4 tabs off of www.mysongbook.com or some other sweet guitar pro tab site.

These enhanced tabs usually have the accompanying instruments right in the tab file, allowing you to play along to the tune while practicing. (Although the sound is MIDI, it's still a very good practicing tool)

Once you feel you've accomplished something, you can click this link.

Probably NSFW
Old 12-13-2005, 10:08 AM

Steve Vai's 10-Hour Workout
Old 12-13-2005, 10:19 AM

I just want to make sure you mean this book. If so, I will consider picking it up for Christmas.

Thanks for the link and suggestions. That stuff looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Diebitter: Yes.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kinda at the same place as you.

f books and lessons. online guitar tabs are best.

"blackbird" is rated one of the hardest fingerpicking songs, but I really don't think so, and it's very satisfying once you learn it. "wonderwall" easy strumming/fun to sing along to. "crash" to make the girls panties wet. "under the bridge" if you really want to be challenged.

Hope this helps. Any new songs for me to learn?

oh yeah and if you're not familiar with this one site called "google," www.guitartabs.cc

[/ QUOTE ]

Tabs are terrible for becoming a good musician. You are much better off to learn the scales/chords that the song is written in and learn the music by ear.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Try this!