Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: What are your 3 biggest fears/phobias?

Flying.

Heights, specifically anytime I can look down and see that I'm a hell of a long way from the earth.

Currently- driving too. Since I started taking the bus I'm never in cars and now that I can't shake this feeling that when I'm in a car on the freeway that traffic is just going to freeze and I'll be in some horrible accident.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:14 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found drowning to be really pleasant, actually. Frighteningly so. "Holy [censored], I'm going down and loving it! Put it in gear, 'Cardo!"

[/ QUOTE ]

My drowning experience was nothing like that. I was held underwater for over a minute in a hydraulic after our raft tipped over while whitewater rafing. I only popped out of the hydraulic after I had used up all of my energy trying to swim to the surface, had completely run out of air, and was certain I was about to die. Once I went limp and half-passed out, the hydraulic spit me out. I had nightmares about drowing for months afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, that is scary. i know exactly what you mean (not from drowning, but being certain you are dying) and the nightmares. i can imagine how terrible this was.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but its quicker and alot less painful than many other things...u panic like a mofo at 1st...but its fast...no matter what the situation is and how long u can "normally" hold ur breath...when u panic that times cut in half if not less... so even for those 3 minute guys out there...its not that long [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still take "dying in my sleep" over drowning, any day.

1 1/2 - 3 minutes might not seem like that long...but time it out with a stopwatch. It's not exactly the blink of an eye. Now imagine you can't breathe for that whole period, and as soon as you do try to breathe you're going to get lungful of water and choke and die. There are much quicker and less scary ways to die.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found drowning to be really pleasant, actually. Frighteningly so. "Holy [censored], I'm going down and loving it! Put it in gear, 'Cardo!"

[/ QUOTE ]

My drowning experience was nothing like that. I was held underwater for over a minute in a hydraulic after our raft tipped over while whitewater rafing. I only popped out of the hydraulic after I had used up all of my energy trying to swim to the surface, had completely run out of air, and was certain I was about to die. Once I went limp and half-passed out, the hydraulic spit me out. I had nightmares about drowing for months afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, that is scary. i know exactly what you mean (not from drowning, but being certain you are dying) and the nightmares. i can imagine how terrible this was.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little off topic, but when my mom died, I had nightmares of the devil visiting me and laughing at me. Kept me up half the damn night. Nightmares suck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a silver lining, though. Coming so close to death really affected me and put things in perspective. It helped convince me to make changes in my life for the better. A short time later, I quit my job (that I totally hated), and went back to school.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:24 AM

Drowning is incredibly painful and scary. When your lungs fill with water, your body starts freaking out and I have heard your vital signs can continue even if weak for 8-12 minutes after the start of drowning.

When my raft flipped in a class 5 rapid, I immediatly choked on water because I was breathing heavily entering the water. I got stuck under another raft which was trapped on the only way down. It was very painful and I was only under water for maybe 20-30 seconds.

Just make sure you hold your breath before you enter water at high speeds.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 AM

1. Any of my children dying or being lost
2. heights
3. losing my internet connection
Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A little off topic, but when my mom died, I had nightmares of the devil visiting me and laughing at me. Kept me up half the damn night. Nightmares suck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Argh...that's horrible.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:43 AM

I used to have a wierd phobia which I think I've got conquered now-I used to be afraid that I would fall through cracks between bleachers rows, open storm drains, etc...
Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just make sure you hold your breath before you enter water at high speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd already swallowed half the river before I got sucked underwater, and it happened so quick that I didn't have time to take a breath. Once I was back on shore I spent the next 30 minutes violently puking up everything I'd swallowed. All in all it was a pretty wretched experience.