Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour allows questionable entry option

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you guys are all correct. And the Sunday finals are just a qualifier for the final table.

I'll write out a check for $4k to go directly to the TV table. I'd like seat 3 please.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, according to you, isnt every tournament a qualifier until we get to the FT, and then the real tournament begins? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll pay $4k and just show up for the final 6 TV table. How about that? That's an extra $3600 for the prize pool and a guaranteed breakeven or better for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep hammering this point, like it's going to just end the discussion. Read your statement here again and try to find the difference between what you're suggesting and what everyone who pays $2200 to enter on Sunday gets.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:58 PM

This isn't even a discussion anymore since it's the world vs. Tek and he isn't budging, and neither are the dozens that disagree with him. No matter how much discussion continues, Tek seems so bogged down in semantics and specific vocabulary that nobody will convince him he's wrong. I think its time to let this thread die. Tek, I think you should ask a moderator to lock this thread which has become of no value.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you guys are all correct. And the Sunday finals are just a qualifier for the final table.

I'll write out a check for $4k to go directly to the TV table. I'd like seat 3 please.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, according to you, isn't every tournament a qualifier until we get to the FT, and then the real tournament begins? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being sarcastic (but being as intelligent as you are, you knew that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

If the final table is THE tournament so to speak, then why are there multi-day events? Answer: Because it takes greater skill to survive multiple sessions rather than just plopping your butt down for a SNG.

The final table requires skill in short-handed play, which I agree with you is more dificult for most players than full table play with many tables left.

Look, I understand what you are all saying from both a prize fund and strategic entry perspectives.

Fine, let the guys who suck so bad enter directly into the Sunday finals. I don't think it is right, but I won't argue it any longer.

However, if I'm at the Sunday finals at the November event I will ask out loud for the direct buy-in players to identify themselves. I doubt they will, but I would like to know if they have the guts to raise their hand.

(Remember, I'm a schmuck).
Old 10-15-2005, 07:52 PM

The point you don't seem to be getting is that the "Sunday Finals" is the tournament. It has a 2k buy-in.

[ QUOTE ]
Preliminary Qualifiers will be held on November 25th & 26th at 10:00am and 5:00pm.
The top 20% advance to Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a direct quote from the site notice the word QUALIFIERS, which is exactly what they are, qualifiers for the main event on Sunday which you can also directly enter.

And your statement about wanting to play with better players instead of worse ones is so wrong i'm not even gonna bother honestly just think about that for a minute.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:57 PM

Also notice the key difference between buying into the Sunday tourney and buying into the final table is that everyone starts with the same number of chips on Sunday because its a completely seperate tourney whereas you carry your chips over the the final table because its the same tourney.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:27 PM

Wow [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point you don't seem to be getting is that the "Sunday Finals" is the tournament. It has a 2k buy-in.

That is a direct quote from the site notice the word QUALIFIERS, which is exactly what they are, qualifiers for the main event on Sunday which you can also directly enter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, qualifier as in qualifying for the next round. Starting with a new stack instead of carrying over does not make it a new tourny.

The guys who are paying $2k are avoiding competition no matter how yoy slice it. It's not just that they are bad players (which is +EV I'll admit) but they are so bad they have to try to avoid what has been for four months the only way to get to the finals--namely the qualification round.

These few guys asked Greg for the ability to sidestep the qual round admittedly because they suck.

For guys who can supposedly understand Sklansky's books, I'm just amazed.

I'll try one more time.

These guys are AFRAID OF GETTING KNOCKED OUT OF THE QUALIFYING ROUNDS SO THEY WANT TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE FINALS.

It's the same as if the chokemaster Minnesota Vikings said to the NFL: Look, we never make it past Round 1 of the playoffs. Put us into the Conference Championship. And let the other teams play their Division playoffs as usual...

If Greg and Todd think this is okay, fine. It's their tourny. But the point is the $2k guys have an unfair advantage by not playing on Friday and Saturday because they are avoiding a possible knock out.

They are buying their way out of an early knock out.

I do not believe that Sunday is a seperate tounry. It's a continuation of The Friday and Saturday qualifying. You are qualifying to come back Sunday by making the top 20%.

These few guys are avoiding competition. And you guys support that option because you are as weak as them. You seem to be as afraid of competition as they are and just want the easy way out. Be honest, you know it's true.

As long as we accept the reality of this, I will too. That is if these weak guys want to buy their way out of an early knock out, ok. But let's not call it the equivalent of a satellite because it's not.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:00 PM

You are right I take everything back.

Qualifying tournaments are not qualifiers they are just preliminary "rounds" even if everyone starts over with even chips and the tournaments are called qualifiers.

People who directly buy-in to a 2k event which is offered to everyone somehow have an unfair advantage over those who choose to play qualifiers.

Its much better to play against strong competition than against bad players.

And of course everyone but you is completely wrong including the several people in this thread who play professionaly. Clearly everybody is delusional except for you, congratulations.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:24 PM

Dude, this is baffling. It is like you think it is all about winning and not about money. The analogy of paying 4K to get to the FT only works if it is a 18man tourney. If you want to pay your way to a FT of ten, you need to pay (10/# of entrants). These players are paying the same as you to enter the sunday tourney. There is no special treatment. This is poker. Money plays.