Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Default WTF? I\'m Really Homesick?

I moved to L.A. to get away from high school. I went to high school in an Indiana town (yea, i get it, Tom Petty song). All of my friends moved to schools close by, ie IU, Purdue, Butler, etc. I liked my friends, but I felt like I needed to start new.

So I looked at schools further away. I found LMU in los angeles and liked everything about it. I want to go into the entertainment industry, not as a director or producer or actor, but more the business side of it (entertainment law,etc) . I have made new friends here and have a social life. But I can't get rid of my homesickness. I know it has only been a little less than a semester but I cannot shake the "missing" feeling. I don't even feel this for my family, mostly because my "cool" uncle lives out here, as does my grandmother. I didn't go home for thanksgiving because of rugby practices, and it looks like that might happen for Christmas too. My friends are starting to think that I am just too busy for them to come home, and I have gotten AIMs saying the same thing. Does everyone experience this to this degree? I should be happy with where I am, but I can't help but feel like I might move back home next year. However, I don't want everyone to tell me "I told you so" when I come back.

Sorry to sound like just another stupid, confused teenager, but hey, thats what I am. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: WTF? I\'m Really Homesick?

You can probally look for general advice on the internet, I have never experienced it myself but you hear the old cliche that the first 1/2/3 years are the hardest so im sure you're not in the boat alone.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I moved to L.A. to get away from high school. I went to high school in an Indiana town (yea, i get it, Tom Petty song). All of my friends moved to schools close by, ie IU, Purdue, Butler, etc. I liked my friends, but I felt like I needed to start new.

So I looked at schools further away. I found LMU in los angeles and liked everything about it. I want to go into the entertainment industry, not as a director or producer or actor, but more the business side of it (entertainment law,etc) . I have made new friends here and have a social life. But I can't get rid of my homesickness. I know it has only been a little less than a semester but I cannot shake the "missing" feeling. I don't even feel this for my family, mostly because my "cool" uncle lives out here, as does my grandmother. I didn't go home for thanksgiving because of rugby practices, and it looks like that might happen for Christmas too. My friends are starting to think that I am just too busy for them to come home, and I have gotten AIMs saying the same thing. Does everyone experience this to this degree? I should be happy with where I am, but I can't help but feel like I might move back home next year. However, I don't want everyone to tell me "I told you so" when I come back.

Sorry to sound like just another stupid, confused teenager, but hey, thats what I am. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey dude.

I've lived in quite a few places and I know what you are feeling.

Moving is always tough and it can take a long time to adjust. I'd say give it at least a year before you give it up. Try and make some new friends and get to know your surroundings - I used to live in LA, so if you tell me where you are living, maybe I can help.

There is simply no cure for homesickness other than the passage of time - but you should absolutely stick it out for at least a year or two - this is a tremendous opportunity for personal growth and you should grab it by the horns.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:53 PM

1) just go home for christmas - seeing your family is more important than rugby. Yer in college now, so don't let any one thing consume you (especialy not something that won't help you later in life)
2) drink more
3) do more drugs

yer in college fer chrissakes! You shouldn't have enough free time or brain cells to feel homesick!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:08 AM

First and foremost, everybody is different...don't expect that what you read here will apply directly to you.

Secondly, for me...

I went home my first year for Thanksgiving, and every year for Christmas. Me being who I am, I cannot stand the thought of not being near my family over Christmas.

Thanksgiving, though, after the first year, I never wanted to go home again, have the rush rush trip, etc.

The homesickness WILL go away. Even though you have friends down in LA, your life isn't used to being in LA. Soon, that will change. Your life will be in LA, and the homesickness will subside.

For me, it was about 6-8 months. For some, it may be 2 or 3 years.

Good luck,

Josh
Old 11-17-2005, 04:56 AM

I never went through homesickness because i've been moving since i was younger coz of my dads job. But i had a housemate from iowa at one point who had never left his state and decided to go to college in hawaii. First time on a plane, first time outside iowa, first time away from family, first time either different food etc etc etc...he was so depressed the first semester (so much so that the 2nd housemate and i bet on whether he'd come back from his christmas break)..i bet that he would because i figured that as soon as he'd be home he realized why he wanted to get out of there in the first place. And I was right, he dumped his girl back home and came back with the attitude that he really wanted to be in hawaii!!

So don't worry it'll pass