Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: When to let off with AK?

Ok....

I just call the three bet preflop. Check/call the flop, and check/fold the turn UI.

I was just saying that AK is a drawing hand, and if you miss your draw you need to quit giving away your money.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:35 PM

I'm watching American Idol, too, and it rocks, no questions there. Then by your definition of a drawing hand, every hand in poker is a drawing hand, unless you wanna talk about big pocket pairs being already "made" hands. So I guess, theoretically, just about every poker hand is a drawing hand, but I'm just saying that AK is a better drawing hand than others.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 PM

I like your line wrto, but I would probably go ahead and cap preflop. I agree about not giving money away, and obviously, when you have overcards, they are going to be played as a drawing hand, so hero should evaluate the likelihood that his overcard outs are good, and act accordingly based on the size of the pot. But then again, I also don't mind the bet/call on the flop, because I think the backdoor flush draw adds a little bit of value to this hand. I guess I'm just confused... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm watching American Idol, too, and it rocks, no questions there. Then by your definition of a drawing hand, every hand in poker is a drawing hand, unless you wanna talk about big pocket pairs being already "made" hands. So I guess, theoretically, just about every poker hand is a drawing hand, but I'm just saying that AK is a better drawing hand than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a better drawing hand. That's why you raise with it.

I still wonder if C/c C/f is passive....Definately not capping preflop or calling the river.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your line wrto, but I would probably go ahead and cap preflop. I agree about not giving money away, and obviously, when you have overcards, they are going to be played as a drawing hand, so hero should evaluate the likelihood that his overcard outs are good, and act accordingly based on the size of the pot. But then again, I also don't mind the bet/call on the flop, because I think the backdoor flush draw adds a little bit of value to this hand. I guess I'm just confused... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we capped preflop, we should lead on the flop, too. I think the turn is where it gets nasty since the pot is so big.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you say AK is not a drawing hand and then talk about outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and the flop comes
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and for some reason, that guy your playing with opts to show you his hand of K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], well, all of a sudden, you have 7 outs to the winning hand.

I just said 'outs' when talking about AA. Does that make it a drawing hand?

Is AK a drawing hand vs AQ? No, its a made hand. Ace-King high! It needs to be protected.

To absolutely define a hand that contains no pair as 'drawing' and all hands that contain a pair or better as 'made' is rediculous.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can you say AK is not a drawing hand and then talk about outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and the flop comes
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and for some reason, that guy your playing with opts to show you his hand of K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], well, all of a sudden, you have 7 outs to the winning hand.

I just said 'outs' when talking about AA. Does that make it a drawing hand?

Is AK a drawing hand vs AQ? No, its a made hand. Ace-King high! It needs to be protected.

To absolutely define a hand that contains no pair as 'drawing' and all hands that contain a pair or better as 'made' is rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right.

I guess it would have been better if I said that your AK is drawing *here* and that you shouldn't play it like a made hand. It's unlikely you're up against AQ.

You hurt my brain with the AQ vs AK. That's not very nice. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 11:15 PM

Roland,

I've liked your posts so far until I read... [ QUOTE ]
I'm watching American Idol, too, and it rocks

[/ QUOTE ]
American Idol sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That being said, AK is a drawing hand...but one that CAN win unimproved.

Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it would have been better if I said that your AK is drawing *here* and that you shouldn't play it like a made hand. It's unlikely you're up against AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this A LOT more!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM

I can't believe all of this garbage. American Idol rocks....and it's not even close. Do you see why?

By the way, wrto and Ismael, I agree with the fact that the classification of a hand as "made" or "drawing" is largely situational and subjective. So, in this case, yes, you are drawing. The label itself in general doesn't matter.