Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 12:18 AM

Default deep 1-2 hand

1-2 NLHE, all of us have around 700. I am in the BB with 24o, and knuckle behind a bunch of limpers. the cast of important characters is:
me: who hasn't seen a showdown all night
MP: aggressive and somewhat loose, also tends to pay off with lots of different hands
button: textbook weak tight player

flop: K 4 4. I check, MP bets 30, button calls, I call.

turn is a 7. I check again, MP bets 60, button calls, I think for a while and call. my read is that MP has a K and button probably has a 4 (45 or 34, possibly A4s but less likely). I am pretty confident in this read.

river is a J. I bet 150.

what do you think of my line?

--turnipmonster
Old 09-27-2004, 04:46 AM

Default Re: deep 1-2 hand

I'd be surprised if MP didn't fold, which would obviously suck. I think he'd be more likely to overcall a typical small bet from the weakie in position on the button than to call your big one. I know you said "also tends to pay off with lots of different hands" and that probably means he called, but that's a hideous call without K7 or better. So does he make hideous calls?

If your reads are correct, you should wonder what the best way to get MP's money in the middle is. Betting 150 is not the way. And with button still to act after him, he can fold assuming button will look you up. Either bet less or check, making them think you have a king.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think of my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it given your reads that MP will likely call with a king, and the button will be hesitant to overcall with his weak 4. This can be a nice play to fold out a slightly better hand given the right opponents.

If this isn't the cause for the river bet, I really dont know what to make of your line.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:19 AM

I'm not sure just how weak-tight the button is or how loose the MP is, but it's an interesting line.....though I'm not sure I like it better than folding.....the problem I see is that if MP calls, is button really folding A4? - the pot seems like it's large enough for button to overcall knowing he ends the betting....I suppose your table image helps here though.....
Old 09-27-2004, 09:34 AM

this is exactly my thinking. I thought the button would have raised the turn if he liked his kicker, so when he didn't I thought he would have a hard time overcalling with just a 4. on the turn I would have folded if the button raised.

I thought there was little downside to this play as we were chopping most times (anything but A4) even if he did call.

as it turned out MP called, button hemmed and hawed and mucked 45 and I won the pot. so it worked out perfectly this time, I am just curious about what people think about the play on average. that and I thought it was a nice play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

--turnipmonster
Old 09-27-2004, 09:42 AM

re: betting less, it's a 270 pot and everyone has a lot of money left. 150 is just about the least I would ever bet there with any hand.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-27-2004, 10:19 AM

How could button possibly fold here? That just seems terrible, given that you're holding an essentially random kicker in the BB and he'll chop 2/3 of the time or whatever assuming you hold a 4. I like the idea, though. MP's call is also a little weird, but given your read I think the line you took is good and has very little downside.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:53 AM

he thought I was full. look at it this way, with his hand the best he can hope for is a split. so he is really only calling 150 to win 210. plus, the guy is just really weak tight.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Very nice line, obviously you can only attempt this play against a player you really know.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 AM

I agree, very nice. What do you think of check-raising if you thought MP would bet the river?