Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 05:56 PM

Default pre and postflop raise amount

I know in torunaments it is generally considered correct to raise 3x the BB and pot-sized bets postflop with strong hands. Is this different in NL ring games? I thought I read somewhere that 6x the BB might be better preflop... is this right? Why? How about postflop?

Also, why do I see so many min-raises on this forum? These can't be correct can they?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: pre and postflop raise amount

ok, just to point out I know the answer really is "it depends" especially because of the stack sizes and such. But can someone point out maybe what % of stack or something to that affect which would make sense? thanks.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:18 PM

I don't base my preflop raises on stack size.

typically I go for 4xbb + 1 bb per limper before me preflop.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:26 PM

percentage of stack shouldn't matter, because you should always have at least the amount of your buy-in when you start a hand. for example, you are playing in a $25 max buy-in game. 10 hands into it, you take a $10 hit. you always want to click the re-buy button to replenish your stack to $25 in case you get a hand. to not do that is a poor decision.

as far as what amount to raise...raise as much as they will call with. if that is 2xBB on a really tight table, so be it. if it is 10xBB on a really loose table, so be it. i don't ever just want the blinds unless i'm in a tourney.

cheers!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM

I agree but neither would you want everybody calling. you want it high enough to limit it to heads up or 2 callers.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree but neither would you want everybody calling. you want it high enough to limit it to heads up or 2 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely.

cheers!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:26 PM

It doesn't depend on stack size so much as it depends on the texture and play of the table. If the table is loose (lots of limpers preflop), you should make the raise more (5xBB or better). If the table is playing very tight and folds to most raises, then make it more like 4xBB. I generally don't go below the 4xBB mark.

Sometimes I will get guys on tilt after stacking them. They will then habitually call all my raises because they are "after me" and pissed off. When I notice this, I will often make the raise a little more ridiculous and get them to make a poor play because they've committed their stack. Of course, this is better to do with AA/KK/QQ. AK/AQ and others don't really justify gigantic raises unless you have a good read on your opponent.

j.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:05 PM

Preflop I make my raises #xBB + 1BB per limper.

# = 8 for NL 25, 6 for NL 50, 4 for NL 100.

For Party it's half of that, as Party's blinds are double those of other casions'.

For post flop, I usually base my bets on pot size.