Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: The amount you sit down with at a table

Multitabling with 50BB is far from the description of the top post, I know plenty of players who do that. And buying in for a lot more when there is no cap heads up makes sense too. I just meant on average, this isn't usual for strong players to do. I may be wrong though.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:07 PM

I think an exception to what most people are saying would be the highest stakes games, 150/300, 200/400 and 300/600. I think everyone does a double take when they see someone sitting w/ 100k. Obviously you would know that guy isn't "taking his shot"...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mention a-game because I have seen players who I know are good/winning players buy in with an exoribtant amount when they are on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see we have played together before.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 AM

Well I play a lot of 30/60 and usually buy in for around 25bb (sometimes even less!). I do, however, see a lot of the regulars sit with much more. I often see people who always sit w/ 10k, I even see people who sit w/ 20k, 50k, 80k, and 100k.

I've played w/ a lot of people who sit w/ 20k and just suck. I've been playing with someone all this week who sat w/ 20k (total amount in his cashier, i'm assuming), and he's down to about 13k. The people with the higher amounts (50k+), in my opinion, are obviously winning players and I tend to avoid them, if possible (just for table selection purposes).

The thing about sitting with such high amounts at a table shows that you might possibly be a very successful/winning player. The thing about buying in for a smaller amount makes you stand out less; keeping you more low profile or incognito. Of course, this might be more true if you're playing with an unknown player, or if you are unknown to a player.

Sometimes, a player who sits with their entire BR will be on tilt. A friend and I refer to this as "BR flaunting". So if I ever see someone who rarely sits with their entire BR, and appears to be "BR flaunting", I'll definitely check out the table and take some shots at him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it's important not to automatically judge a person by their chip stack. It's interesting to see that some of you have "fish bells go off" when you see someone sit w/ X amount. By doing so, you're immediately underestimating your opponent, which could be a disadvantage for you.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:08 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if somebody 1-tables with 50k it's a lot more likely that they made a score in a MTT than it is that they're a multi-tabling pro
Old 08-16-2005, 06:57 AM

I think part of poker is blending in with the crowd. If you buy in for a large amount, you draw attention to yourself. Now your opponents will start noticing your play as well. You don't want this!

So just buy in for 10-50BB, whatever, and no one will take any particular notice.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM

FWIW, the site u play on ( if ur name is the same as in here) , for some reason everyone sits down with their whole roll on there because its a 1 table site, 10k is the avg stack for the 30-60 game