Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Holocaust Denial

I agree. The problem with the 6 million number argument is --- does the actual number make that big of a difference to argue about? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that the number was lower. That doesn't change how horrible it was. Why you might have been labelled a denier is that a common tactic of deniers is to suggest that if the 6 million number is wrong, then we can't believe much about the holocaust at all. They suggest that the house of cards falls because that one number is wrong. Also, one has to wonder why someone would take the time to deny the 6 million number --- what are there motives.

As Sarah Silverman tells: My favorite niece learned in school that Hitler killed 60 million Jews. Sarah corrects her -- It was six million -- and her niece says dismissively, "Yeah, whatever. What's the difference?" Aunt Sarah delivers a stern rebuke: "I'll tell you the difference, young lady: 60 million would be unforgivable!"
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM

The guy did his own research and backed up his claims with his own findings. I'd say anyone who prefers blindly believing the media vs. thinking for himself can't be a very good poker player.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 PM

"Civilization would not be any worse off in the slightest if every Neo-Nazi died a horrible death in a prison camp, preferably with the same anticpation and horror the Jews faced in the concentration camps.

RB"

Please furnish a list of some other groups who deserve this fate. I'll be seizing world power soon, and I'd like to make sure we wipe out everyone whose views you disagree with.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM

The guy is a loon. A simple web search will show several thorough debunkings of his "research." He was a grad student at one point and abused his position to try and lend further credence to his screed.

If you are looking for a martyr, may I suggest you try someone else.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:26 PM

If that is so obvious, then why is it so important to put the guy in jail? Wouldn't it be easier to just publicize the proof that his claims are invalid?

Think about psychology for a moment. What gets people riled more, stuff that is obviously false, or stuff that has truth to it?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Did you mean that as a reply to me or to RB?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that is so obvious, then why is it so important to put the guy in jail? Wouldn't it be easier to just publicize the proof that his claims are invalid?

[/ QUOTE ]

When the people you are trying to convince are irrational, a rational argument would fail.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When the people you are trying to convince are irrational, a rational argument would fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, that is why I no longer try to convince the "Bush lied" people. Facts don't matter, they are convinced that Bush lied and it is their most deeply held belief, the truth be damned.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 PM

Default 6 million

Most Historians believe 6 million Jews is a fairly accurate estimate. The Nazis were very meticulous in recording everything. This ranged from property seized, to people gassed. the Nazis were hell bent on cleansing all of Europe from inferior races, and that meant finding names, addresses etc... Which is also what makes holocaust denial so difficult, because most of the evidence for the holocaust was kept by the Nazi's themselves
Old 12-08-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see where throwing a neo-nazi in prison for saying the Holocaust didn't happen is a sign of the end of freedom for Western Civilization

[/ QUOTE ]

Throwing people in jail for expressing historical falsehoods or opinions you don't agree with is a major blow against everything that I consider freedom.