Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Is libertarianism at odds with Christianity?

I am a libertarian. I am also a Christian. I read the following in the Dallas Morning News Letters today:

I am outraged at the hypocrisy of the Christian right. Christmas is about doing good things for others and remembering and caring for those in our society who have less. Who did Christ first witness to in his mission on earth? The rich? No. It was the poor, the outcasts and unwanted in society.

Is the Christian right concerned about those people in our society? Obviously not, according to their stand on affordable health care for all Americans, education and Social Security. This is what Christ would have been preaching about if he came today, not whether retailers and Christmas cards say "Happy holidays."

Have we embraced and cared for those in our society who can't speak for themselves? Health care, education, affordable housing and decent wages – these are the moral, social issues of our time that will show Christ that we have kept his name in Christmas.

Now...I find myself at a bit of a juxtaposition. I don't agree with the leftist bent of the letter. I think it's pretty much boiler-plate liberaltalk. But, it made me wonder: would Christ, if He were walking around today, be a liberal? Would He really support social programs, caring for the poor, national healthcare, etc.?

To take it a step further, is my campaigning against these things at odds with my faith? I am not a member of the Christian right by any means, so I don't have the "balancing" notions of protecting morality and decency(like the Parents Television Council crowd, or Jerry Falwell). So, am I acting against my creed in standing up for reduced aid to the poor, privatization of healthcare, and the abolition of welfare and Social Security?

I apologize if this is shading into the philosophy forum area, but I trust you guys for even-keeled responses more than those folks... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]