Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Travelling to South America

I would appreciate some suggestions on this. Winter break for me is from tomorrow to Jan 29. The Pokerstars Atlantis is from Jan. 4 - 11. I'm thinking of getting spanish lessons between now and the 4th, and then after the Bahamas going to S. America or Central America with Daryn if he wants to or maybe a friend from high school. Then on Jan. 20th there is a piano camp from 20-29 I was looking forward too.

So my main question is where in S. America or Central America should I go? Not sure if there will be time to get a visa. Is 9 days (between the 11th and 20th) enough or should I forget about the piano camp?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Travelling to South America

Based on personal experience:

Goods (highest-lowest)
=================
Costa Rica*
Argentina (Long flight)
Brazil (No spanish of course)
Lima (Machu Pichu a must!)
Santiago (long flight)
Panama*
Mexico
Dominican Republic (assuming Caribean is ok)

*Spanish is easier to understand in Panama and Costa Rica (pronunciation).

Avoids
======
Venezuela
Colombia

If you're looking for a real sleeper of a place to kick back, scuba, snorkel or just chill - Bonaire (sm Island part of Neth Anitlles - no spanish but they speak papimiento - a combo of spanish/dutch/french - wild!)

Edit: Visas to all/most should be doable if you already have your passport - here is a link to visa requirements.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Thanks, what's wrong with Venezuela and Columbia? They sound like two of the most interesting with Hugo Chavez and all. Are they really dangerous? Even if I don't do anything stupid?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, what's wrong with ....Columbia? Are they really dangerous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if you like your bankroll. Kidnapping is a rather large industry there.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 PM

1) Dominican Republic is an island.
2) It is awesome and should not be on the bottom of your list.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 PM

What is special about the Dominican Republic? I am leaning towards Lima now because there is something specific and cool to do there (Machu Pichu). A couple other specific things that people have told me about are, some volcano that is still active but don't know what country that's in. A week long tour through the amazon which sounded great, but not sure which place is best to go for that. Not Brazil becuase I want to do SPnaish.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A week long tour through the amazon which sounded great, but not sure which place is best to go for that. Not Brazil becuase I want to do SPnaish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolivia, out of the town of Rruenabaque, north of La Paz.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 PM

anyone been to nicaragua? thoughts/comments?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Avoids
======
Venezuela
Colombia

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I dont know your experience there but I have gone their for 1 months time on 10 different occasions all of which have been fantastic. While I stayed with family, we took mini vacations to "Los Roques" a beutiful archipeligo for 1 week. It was very secluded and was great times if you like catamaranges and crystal clear water/beach. Also staying at the islands of Margireta are good times. This is more of a tourist adventure as compared to Los Roques, but is good times for beach, food, water. We took flight from Chicago O'hare , to Miama, To Caracas,venezuela and then from their take a 30 min flight to either of those 2 places. If you want more info just pm me.
-$
Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Avoids
======
Venezuela
Colombia

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I dont know your experience there but I have gone their for 1 months time on 10 different occasions all of which have been fantastic. While I stayed with family, we took mini vacations to "Los Roques" a beutiful archipeligo for 1 week. It was very secluded and was great times if you like catamaranges and crystal clear water/beach. Also staying at the islands of Margireta are good times. This is more of a tourist adventure as compared to Los Roques, but is good times for beach, food, water. We took flight from Chicago O'hare , to Miama, To Caracas,venezuela and then from their take a 30 min flight to either of those 2 places. If you want more info just pm me.
-$

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Venezuela for two years and saw a steady decline in the political stability and crime rate (which has since gotten worse). I've been to Angel Falls, Los Roques, Isla Margarita, and other nice spots and they are awesome but I wouldn't go back volunatarily now because of the socio-political mess down there. I have many Venezeulan friends who have left and will not go back until Chavez is gone.

On Colombia - been there twice, I loved it there - it is cheap, the women are more beautiful than Venezuelans, and there is a lot to do - but the crime is just too bad for tourism.