Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Navy Seals vs Army Rangers vs other special forces vs UFC

Not to be rude, but this isn't close in anyway, shape, or form. It's UFC fighters.

Oh, and in case you're wondering...

Yes, Navy Seals can swim, but no, not as fast as olympic swimmers. They also run alot, but not as fast/far as olympic sprinters/marathoners. Oh yeah, and they are strong, but not as strong as powerlifters.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As an analogy (admittedly an imperfect one), you take the most badass K1 kickboxer in history and put them in a UFC match where now holds/grapling is involved, and they dont fair well.

[/ QUOTE ]
The imperfection is that UFC guys train to fight unarmed ALL THE TIME, while random special forces guy trains to fight unarmed not even close to as frequently. I'd like to know what you're basing your opinion on. Do you know special forces guys or how often they train in unarmed combat? You seem to believe that if you take away the rules in the UFC the techniques don't work. You got it wrong. They work so well, you need rules to keep people from killing/maiming someone.

For example, if I put you in a rear naked choke and don't let go, you will pass out and after a few minutes you will die.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 AM

When I was in the Army my roommate joined the special forces and I kept in touch with him and then later was able hang out and get to know a bunch of the guys from his unit.

I can tell you many are vastly overestimating the amount of time they spend on unarmed combat training. They have so much stuff to learn in their chosen specialty it would blow most people away. They are badasses no doubt but in a very different sense than say a UFC fighter is. Plus much of the training focuses on things like disarming someone or being able to seperate themselves from an hand to hand conflict so they can gain an advantage by some other means. to put in bluntly getting in a one on one fight would be seen as quite teh failure.

To get an idea of the advantage the UFC fighter would have you could ask the question who would win a fire fight and unit vs. unit armed conflict. A special forces unit or a group of armed UFC fighters. Thats close to the amount of difference we are talking about.

Now there is one exception. Many of the guys who join the special forces and navy seals are way into things like self defense and martial arts. So it's somewhat likely that they have and do pursue various tranings on their own time when they can.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to be rude, but this isn't close in anyway, shape, or form. It's UFC fighters.

Oh, and in case you're wondering...

Yes, Navy Seals can swim, but no, not as fast as olympic swimmers. They also run alot, but not as fast/far as olympic sprinters/marathoners. Oh yeah, and they are strong, but not as strong as powerlifters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I'm pretty surprised at how many people are arguing against the UFC guys. Any training in lethal hand-to-hand combat is not going to make up for the fact that they are way outmatched in the fight to begin with. It's like people think the navy SEAL is just gonna reach into the guy's chest and pull out his heart or something.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For example, if I put you in a rear naked choke and don't let go, you will pass out and after a few minutes you will die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly why UFC guys would win.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kdawg,

Royce is a good point by you. But to say that he is representative of the average UFC fighter is more than generous, he is like the Michael Jordan of UFC, no one else has ever come close.

On a sidenote, has anyone else seen the video of him fighting a Kung Fu master where his brother is narrating? Pretty awesome stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Royce is not the Micheal Jordan of MMA. He was just ahead of the learning curve for his day.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 AM

thank you
Old 12-08-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kdawg,

Royce is a good point by you. But to say that he is representative of the average UFC fighter is more than generous, he is like the Michael Jordan of UFC, no one else has ever come close.

On a sidenote, has anyone else seen the video of him fighting a Kung Fu master where his brother is narrating? Pretty awesome stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Royce is not the Micheal Jordan of MMA. He was just ahead of the learning curve for his day.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is false. WHen Royce suffered his MMA losses he was already in his late 30s and Sakuraba was at his peak. Rickson was actually the best one, but Royce wasn't far behind RIckson. He knows tons of stuff that can never be used in a MMA ring
Old 12-08-2005, 03:49 AM

I've always had a huge respect for Navy Seals. I envy how fearless they must be. I feel like this might come down to which member of each group is most capable psychologically of killing another person. And so, I think the Navy Seal might have the edge here. Obvious but possibly important statement: it's one thing to potentially break someone's arm or knock him unconscious (this definitely requires some emotional detatchment), but killing seemingly is on an entirely different level.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always had a huge respect for Navy Seals. I envy how fearless they must be. I feel like this might come down to which member of each group is most capable psychologically of killing another person. And so, I think the Navy Seal might have the edge here. Obvious but possibly important statement: it's one thing to potentially break someone's arm or knock him unconscious (this definitely requires some emotional detatchment), but killing seemingly is on an entirely different level.

[/ QUOTE ]

If not killing someone means they will kill you, its not that hard to kill someone.