Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 12:21 AM

Default Q\'s on small PP\'s, Axs, and connectors...

Hey, first time poster here. Thanks to all the regular posters, I've found alot of valuable info in these forums.

I wanted to get some comments on some ideas I had for my play at NL regarding small PP's, A-rag suited, and med/small suited & unsuited ocnnectors. From my initial bar napkin analysis I got these figures as guidelines for calling (% is percenatge of minimum relevant stack):

Call when I'm pretty sure I won't have to pay more than:

3% :small pairs
2% :Ace-rag suited
1% :suited connectors
2/3% :connectors

This would allow me to call moderate (up to 4.5*BB) raises with PP's, small (up to 3*BB) raises with Axs, and limp in with suited & unsuited connectors most of the time in a 150*BB buy-in game. Of course the game conditions and position will determine my chances of getting raised from behind.

In a 50*BB game this would allow me to limp in with PP's and Axs when I'm pretty sure I won't get raised.

How's this sound so far?

Secondly, regarding cases where you you want to go out on a limb a little and try and bust out or double up on big hands, these again are my bar napkin guidelines:

6% [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]ocket pairs
4% :Ace-rag suited
3% :suited connectors
2% :connectors

This allows me with $300 rel. stacks to call up to $18 with PP's, $12 with Axs, $9 with suited connectors and $6 with connectors. Of course you'd have to pick your spots, perhaps only utilizing this option in direct proportion to your chances of getting paid off(???). For example, sneaky staights and trips have a much better chance of getting paid off than the nut flush, and thus could be utilized more frequently.

In a $100 1/2 game 3* and 2*BB bets could sometimes be called with PP's and Axs, respectively. And it would be occasionally okay to limp with suited and unsuited connectors.

I've heard people use the 5/10 rule for all these hands before, but I just think its too general and too aggressive. Intuitively, my figures sound good, but I haven't gotten into a deep analysis yet.
Comments?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Q\'s on small PP\'s, Axs, and connectors...

Well, you're gonna have to talk to some of the real math wizzes around here to get exact numbers on Ax suited, suited connectors and the like, but personally, the way I usually play small PP is that if the raiser has me covered (i.e., i can solidly double up off him) I'll call ~5-10% of my stack with any pocket pair, because the implied odds are huge if you hit your set. One of the best hands I've ever seen involved something like this in .25-.50 NLHE, two big stacks at the table, one raised to $7 from LP, the guy in EP called, flop came 237, EP bet, LP raised, EP pushed, LP called, EP shows 33 for a set, LP shows AA. Because of the huge implied odds (both stacks were ~$200), the $7 made sense if he hit his 10% set draw on the flop.